We love soup! I spend a lot of money on gas making soup because I brew it for at least 4 hours! My boy knows it if I took a short cut. Then he won't even drink it. Well maybe he still does drink half a bowl to give me 'face'. hahaha ...
Anyway, this vegetable I'm using is called 老黄瓜 in Chinese. It looks like a bigger version of cucumber but with brownish-yellow slightly rough, crinkle skin. It's called Old Yellow Cucumber translated directly. I haven't had a clue what its proper English name is. Anyone drop me note if you know.
- Old Yellow Cucumber, washed, sliced in big chunks and seeds removed.
- 1 piece dried octopus, cut into pieces
- 5 red dates, stoned
- 250g pork ribs
- 2 litre water
- Salt to taste
How to do it:
- Blanched the pork ribs.
- Put all ingredients except salt in a pot and bring to boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, turn down the fire to low.
- Brew for at least 4 hours (to bring out the flavour).
- Add salt to taste.
The meat from the cucumber is so well cooked that it just 'melt' in your mouth!