I thought I have posted this dish before but I couldn't find it when I when I wanted to link this. Anyways, this is one of the regulars on our dinner table. It's simple to wok and healthy to eat. Can be recommended to vegetarian friends too! Just use vegetarian oyster sauce.
- 1 1/2 carrots, skinned and chopped in chunks
- 10 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked to soften and stalks removed (retain the water)
- 8 Fresh Chestnuts, soaked in hot water to ease the peeling of shell.
- 1 bowl water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
How to do it:
- After removing the shells from the chestnuts, deep fry them in oil for 30 seconds. This helps to cut down the chestnuts from breaking during braising.
- Saute the mushrooms and carrots for 1 minute.
- Put all the 2 vegetables in a pot.
- Add in the water retained from the mushrooms and additional water if required to cover the vegetables.
- Add in the oyster sauce and simmer for 1 hour or longer if you prefer your vegetables to be softer.
- The liquid in the pot should be lesser than half and is thick.
- Add in light soy sauce if you find it too bland.
- Serve with rice.