AdSense

Monday, August 6, 2007

Deep Fried Pork Ribs with Fermented Bean Curd


 I'm a Teochew, which is a ethnic dialect group. The Teochews like to eat plain porridge with a few side dishes. When my brother and I were younger, my father always make us eat porridge. It always came with salted eggs, Bean Sprout, Tau Kwa or Tau Bok and Fermented Bean Curd. I can eat two bowls of porridge with just the Fermented Bean Curd. It's salty so we were only given two pieces to be shared.

I remembered in one of the older movies, Armour of God (龙兄虎弟), by Jackie Chan and Alan Tam, Alan Tam bought a bottle of Fermented Bean Curd to visit Jackie Chan. When asked what it was by May, a female character, they said it was Oriental Cheese. It was a good analogy. haha.... It's does look like Laughing Cow's Cream Cheese Cubes dip in chilli and Sesame Seed Oil.

The one I used in this dish is another type of Fermented Bean Curd. It's called the Shanghainese Fermented Bean Curd. Some called it Red Fermented Bean Curd.


* Shanghainese Fermented Bean Curd aka 南乳 *


Ingredients:

  • 700g Pork Ribs
  • 4 piece Shanghainese Fermented Bean Curd
  • 4 tablespoon Cornflour
  • 3 tablespoon Water
  • 2 tablespoon sauce from Shanghainese Fermented Bean Curd
  • 2 tablespoon Garlic Powder or Garlic Paste
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
  • 1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 1 egg
  • Oil for frying
How to do it:
  1. Add all ingredients except oil, together and mix well.
  2. Marinade for at least an hour, best if over night.
  3. Heat oil and deep fry till golden brown.
  4. Drain and serve.
Note:
You may not like the smell of the fermented bean curd 'fresh' from it's pot but the taste of it after the ribs are fried is really subtle.
Add an additional tablespoon of cornflour if you prefer to have a thicker layer of batter.

7 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! It strikes me as a great combination of foods. Plus, I think you and I have the same set of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good :)

    i love plain porridge too! especially with salted egg, simple fried omelette and deep fried ikan bilis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yummy! May I ask if there a good brand or your favorite fermented red bean curd. There are so many different ones at my asian market from Taiwan and China. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love red fermented bean curd. When I was a student I used to cook poridge and ate with red fermented bean curd. My porridge was red because of the fermented bean curd. My roommate always thought it was beetroot and said I ate strange food.

    I love porridge with canned minced pork and spicy bean paste too.

    Another favorite dish is deep fried ikan bilis/fish fillet, then in seperate pan, boil 2-3 cups of water, add soy sauce, black bean, tomato and bring to boil.

    Show you some photos:
    http://linsharky.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CB3238BF036F73EF!159.entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi wokkingmum, can you tell me what brand of fermented bean curd do you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,
    Thanks! Really? My hubby got it for me at SGD2 each.

    Tracy,
    Thanks. Yah, really nice and simple childhood food.

    East Meets West Kitchen & Anonymous,
    The current one I'm using is imported from China. But it doesnt state the maker's name. Only stated here is Shanghai Red Bean Curd. See the pic I have in the post? It's in that glass container.

    Before this, I got a few pieces from my friend to try out. Her was from another maker but it taste almost similar and hers was from China too. So maybe you might want to get those made in China?

    I bought mine from NTUC (Singapore) Imported by Chin Guan Hin Enterprise.

    Linda,
    I usually take my porridge with the white one, those with sesame seed oil and chilli. hehehe ... dont want my porridge to turn red. ;)

    I know those canned minced pork!!! Was my grandfather's favourite!!

    Btw, it that your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks wokkingmum! Will look for the China ones. :)

    ReplyDelete