AdSense

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Butter Car Cookies

Ah! My very first attempt in baking. I still need a lot of practice. And I should really read more about baking too. I'm soooo blur with the terms used in baking and sometimes I just don't understand how a certain mixture should be like. I think I don't only need a lot of practice, I need a teacher too!

I'm still sharing the recipe because I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's just my baking skills. LOL And this was one of the simplest recipes I found and one that I understand!

Ingredients:
  • 50g Butter
  • 30g Shortening
  • 60g Confectioners' Sugar aka Icing Sugar
  • a pinch of Salt
  • 1 Egg
  • 200g Cake Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 Egg Yolk
How to do it:
  1. Combine butter, shortening, sugar and salt and beat till well combined.
  2. Beat egg into the butter mixture and mix well.
  3. Sift flour and baking powder.
  4. Fold in to the mixture and mix well.
  5. Relax dough for 20 minutes.
  6. Dust some flour on a clean tabletop.
  7. Roll dough out thinly
  8. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
  9. Place in a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
  10. Brush with egg yolk.
  11. Bake at 175◦c for 15 - 18 minutes.

.:: Credits of this recipe goes to Zheng Yan Xue of Recipe Book Cakes and Cookies ::.

13 comments:

  1. Hey, I like the car cookies cutter.So cute. Where you get this? Daiso again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! ;)

    Sue Sue,
    Haha .. thanks! Oh no. It was a gift from a friend some time ago. She thought my son might like it and I might find it useful for my son's meal but didnt realise it's used on cookies. But it can in handy on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wokkingmum,
    I'm a Singaporean (also wokking mon) living in the US. I was searching for lunch box ideas (school starting soon) and was linked here from Lunch in a box. There are so many recipes in your blog that I would like to try to make. Miss Singapore food...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean!

    Welcome to my blog. I've been to Lunch in a box not too long ago. She is very creative!

    You miss Singapore food then you must try Hainanese Chicken http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2007/05/hainanese-chicken-rice.htmlRice and Laksa http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2007/06/laksa.html
    They may not be as good as what you have eaten in Singapore but at least they can let you have a taste of the Singapore food you missed. Hopefully, you are able to get the ingredients needed in the US.

    Hope to 'see' you again soon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these cute little cars... seems delicious... thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too cute to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies. ;)

    It's the cookie cutter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow....i discovered this site by accident and see so much wonderful food here. the car cookies makes great gifts to friends and family. thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mummy to qiqi,
    Haha ... you didnt realise I have a food blog huh? ;)

    Oh, yes! This cookies will make a very good gift. :)

    You're welcome! See you around again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vyvy,
    Shortening is hydrogenated vegetable oil, 100% fat. Pastry using shortening will be more flaky. You can always use butter if you dont want to buy shortening.

    ReplyDelete