AdSense

Friday, August 17, 2007

Coconut Jelly
椰子果冻



I love to drink coconut juice especially in hot weather. It so refreshing. I remember with I was in Secondary School, some drinks stalls in the hawker centers sell coconut water diluted with syrup. Then there were other drinks too, pineapple, sour plum, ching chow, soya bean. I love those. I would save money to buy a glass after school. I hardly see pineapple and sour plum drinks now. I know some older hawker centers still have them.
Back to the coconut. Quite recently I bought a coconut jelly from a pasar malam. I remembered having them 2 years ago. I cost me S$2 each. These sellers really know how to make money. Okay, if you like those too, let me help you save some money. It's really easy to make.

Before that, you will need to know how to crack the coconut for it's juice. It's not that difficult too. Have a look at this post HERE.


Ingredients:
  • 1 Young Coconut
  • 10g Gelatine to 300ml of Coconut Juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon Hot Boiling Water
  • Sugar to taste
How to do it:
  1. Crack the top of the coconut using the back blade of your chopper by hitting it.
  2. Pour the coconut juice out to a bowl.
  3. Scrap off the meat.
  4. Discard meat if it's hard. Only retain the soft and tender ones.
  5. Dice the meat and return to the juice.
  6. Mix the gelatine with water.
  7. Stir to melt it completely.
  8. Simmer some coconut juice with sugar to melt it completely and set it aside.
  9. Pour gelatin mixture and sugar mixture into the coconut juice.
  10. Mix well.
  11. Return it to the coconut shell (there should be some leftovers).
  12. Refrigerate it to set.
  13. Serve cold.
Note:
  • The coconut jelly I made here is like a cross between agar-agar and jello; soft and squishy.
  • Adjust the amount of gelatine for the consistency of the jelly you like.

9 comments:

  1. I've never tried coconut jelly, it looks quite interesting. I like the way the textures look and the presentation possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh coconut juice!! But cannot get it here... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. do u think this drink will sooth sore throat? it looks so cooling and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coconut jellies looks refreshing leh. Over here at the pasar malam was selling at 10 pcs for RM5.00. Really expensive and that 10 pcs is a small tiny pieces.Wah, if I sell the jellies here sure make money one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly,
    If you have a chance do try. Coconut juice is really sweet and cooling! Best thing on a hot weather! And you turn it into jelly to serve as dessert. Equally nice. ;)

    Blur Mommy,
    Not even in asian market? Ai yo! Do you miss drinking coconut juice? What about canned ones?

    Jacelyn,
    Yeah, for mild sore throat, it helps. ;)

    Sue Sue,
    10pcs for RM5.00 is really cheap leh. In Singapore, the cheapest I could find is S$1 for 1. Hey, maybe you can consider leh. The jelly is quite popular here that's why is so expensive. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got canned ones but it's just not the same as fresh ones leh. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blur Mommy,
    Oh, what a pity. Then you have to go back to hometown to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,
    Instead of jelly do u think i can change it into pudding? What kind of pudding powder will u recommend? =)
    If i add in some milk do u think will be nice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    when will we use Hot Boiling water? with gelatine or with some coconut juice with sugar?

    ReplyDelete