AdSense

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pig's Tail in Tomato Soup 猪尾番茄汤

The butcher introduced me to pig's tail when I went to the market very late one day and all the ribs and bone meant to make soup were sold out.

It's even better for those who enjoys eating the chewy skin. I like it because the soup is as sweet and much more clearer than if I were to use ribs or bones. Surprisingly, the soup is not oily as I thought it will be.

Ingredients:
  • 2 Pig's tail, chopped into smaller pieces
  • 1 litre Water
  • 3 big ripe Tomatoes
  • 1/2 Carrot, shredded or diced
  • 1/2 Onion, shredded or diced
  • Salt to taste
How to do it:
  1. Blanch the pig's tail.
  2. Add it into a pot of water and bring to boil.
  3. Reduce to a simmer when water starts to boil.
  4. Slit an 'X' on the skin of tomatoes.
  5. Add tomatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
  6. Remove and plunge in cold water.
  7. Remove the skin and dice the tomato.
  8. Add tomato, carrot and onion an hour after simmering of the pig's tail.
  9. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for another one to two hours. Longer is you are eating the pig's tail and prefer it less tough.
  10. Add salt to taste.
  11. Serve.

☆ Click HERE for the printer-friendly version of the original recipe.


2 comments:

  1. I've never had pigtail, it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    I dont eat them but my hubby does. No meat there, just the soft chewy skin. I like the soup bcos it very clear.

    ReplyDelete