AdSense

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Rickshaw Noodles
车仔面



I have been very lazy to think of what to cook. I asked my hubby if there’s anything he wants to eat and for once he gave me an answer other than “Anything lor” He suggested the noodles soup my mother used to make.

Ahh! That reminds me of my primary school days. An “Ah Pek” will carry a big aluminum pot of noodles to sell near some housing blocks. We skimpily call it Sek Mee Teng (in teochew) at home. Translated as Cooked Noodles Soup, more commonly know as Rickshaw Noodles or Kan Chia Mee

Why was this called Rickshaw Noodles? My understanding was in the 60s, the Rickshaw puller had this practically everyday as lunch!

Ingredients:

How to do it:
  1. Blanch the prawns.
  2. Remove shells and slice prawns in half.
  3. Blanch the noodles to get rid of excess ghee.
  4. Boil your broth.
  5. Add in your vegetables and noodles.
  6. Add salt to taste.
  7. Serve with prawns when noodles are cooked.

Note:
  • This dish is meant to cook when ready to eat. You can't ‘keep’ the noodles in the soup as it will turn soggy and the soup will have the taste of ghee.
  • You can use stock cubes if you don't want to make home-made broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment