I have this habit of making broth for many year. It was mainly made to cook the kid's porridge when they were babies/toddlers. Sometimes I used them for noodles soup, etc. I always make sure I have broth in the fridge so I can have home-made broth anytime I want. Jazzmint ask me about my broth I used for my Macaroni in Chicken Soup. So, here it is ...
- 4 whole Chicken Bones
- 3 - 3.5 litre Water
- Blanch the bones first.
- Return the bones to a pot of water to boil.
- Bring it to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Skim the surface of foam till they no longer appear.
- Simmering should be for at least 4 hours. I simmer mine for 5 hours.
- Use a strainer (preferably with smaller holes) to drain the bones and particulars.
- Let it cool before you freeze it.
- The ingredients stated should yield about 2.5 litre of broth.
- You can remove the fats from the broth by letting it refrigerate until the fat congeals. Then you are easily remove it.
- You can add vegetables to make the broth sweeter too. I prefer just pure chicken broth.
- The broth can be frozen for up to 6 months.
- Do not refreeze broth that you have thaw. Therefore freeze broth in portions you usually use. I freeze my broth 600ml each.