AdSense

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup 奶油西兰花与花椰菜浓汤


I thought I'll use up the broccoli and cauliflower in the fridge but then the kids will kick a fuss for having to eat them. Since, I have a fresh carton of whipping cream, I thought I'll try making creamy soup with the ingredients. Hopefully, the cream will mask the taste of the veggies. Well, it worked. Especially my little girl who finish her rice with the soup in it.

Ingredients:
  • 150g Broccoli, chopped into smaller pieces including the stem
  • 50g Cauliflower, chopped into smaller pieces (optional)
  • 300ml Chicken Broth
  • 250ml Whipping Cream
  • Salt to taste
How to do it:
  1. Blanch broccoli and cauliflower for 5 minutes. Do not over cook them.
  2. Place into the blender with the broth.
  3. Blend till smooth.
  4. Pour into a pot.
  5. Add in the whipping cream.
  6. Stir to mix well.
  7. Bring to a boil.
  8. Serve.
Note:
If you prefer the soup to be thicker, gradually stir in cornflour mixture to thicken it.

  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.

9 comments:

  1. Excellent blog site you have got here!!!..great work..will definitely keep visiting you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, that's certainly one way to get your kids to eat veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall try this - my girl won't eat any vegs. BTW, is the whipping cream same as those used for ice cream sundaes? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitchen Scientist & white rat hubby,
    Thank you! You're always welcome to visit!

    Oh, I have a white rat hubby too! :p Haha...

    Kelly,
    You are right! I'm always finding ways to get my kids to finish thier veggies. :) This works for the time being.

    Nana,
    Those are WHIPPED Cream. The one I use id whipping cream, not whipped yet ;) It's in carton box. Find a small carton 300ml if you dont use it that much/often. Just nice for 1 time use. If you like it, next time can get the 1 ltr bcos you have to finish in 3 days when opened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah i always wanted to cook this sort of soup but don't know haha..hmm one thing, can this be frozen then drink another day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazzmint,
    I think you can freeze it but I'm not sure if it will taste as good when it's thaw it. Maybe you dont add the cream first if you intend to freeze it.Only add it when you are recooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wokking mum...can i use my son's powdered milk instead of whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helllo

    Is it possible to replace whipping cream with thickened cream?

    How much thickened cream should i put?

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 13th sarlavenue, Yes, you can replace whipping cream with thickened cream or just cream. Appropriately 100ml is more than enough. Play by ear. If you like it creamier, you can always add more. :)

    ReplyDelete