AdSense

Friday, May 25, 2007

Shark's Fin Melon Soup 鱼翅瓜羹


My son calls this noodle's soup because when the melon is cooked, it will crumbles into long, translucent, noodle-like threads. My son said those are glass noodles. I think it's suppose to look like Shark's fin that's why it got that name.

I cook this melon in 2 ways. One of them is clear melon soup which is what my son prefers. The other is the thick soup - 羹 (picture above) so it really looks like you are have Shark's Fin Soup! Whichever way it's cooked, it taste as nice!

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 Shark's Fin Melon, skin and seeds removed and cut into smaller pieces
  • 250g Pork Ribs or 1 liter broth
  • 1200ml water if not using broth.
  • 1 handful Wolfberries
  • 8 Red Dates, pitted
  • Salt to taste
How to do it:
  1. Blanch pork ribs.
  2. Boil ribs, melon, wolfberries, red dates in a pot of water.
  3. Reduce heat when it starts to boil.
  4. Simmer for another 3 hours.
  5. Add salt to taste.
  6. Serve hot
Alternative for Thick Soup (羹):

Additional Ingredients:
  • 2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup cornflour mixture
  • 4 - 5 dried scallops, steamed and shredded (optional)
How to do it:
  1. Add scallops during the last hour of simmering since it's already steamed.
  2. After adding salt to taste, thicken soup with cornflour mixture to desire thickness.
  3. Let the soup continue to simmer.
  4. Gradually add in egg while slowly stirring.
  5. Serve hot.
Notes:
  • You can add in shredded carrots during last hour of simmering to give the soup extra colour and texture.
  • If you like, you can also add dried scallops for the clear soup
  • I do not add in Wolfberries when I make thick soup (羹).
  • Add a bit of black vinegar to the thick soup, just like you are having Shark's Fin Soup. Gives you another different taste. Try it!
* Translucent, glass noodle-like threads *



* Shark's Fin Melon *

4 comments:

  1. oops. pls delete the above. post wrong. This dish is interesting! I didn't know it can look like shark fins. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pkumo/meowie,
    Congratulations to whoever you wanted to congratulate too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wan to try this.. recently i had committed to myself, 2 soups per week.. as always busy and no cook soup long time already ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Life Zone,
    Good for you! Soup is good lah. My MIL always tell my hubby .. cannot eat nevermind but must drink soup.

    ReplyDelete