Two weeks ago, I happened to see 'Processed Shark’s Fin' in the supermarket. It was on sales so I bought home a pack to try. This is not real Shark’s Fin but imitation Shark's Fin. To compliment it, there are other ingredients like shredded Sea Cucumber and Shell Fish. Went back yesterday to buy some more but they are all sold out. Maybe, snapped up by people who wants to stock up for Chinese New Year.
How to do it:
- 1 packet of imitation Shark's Fin
- Stock or stock cubes (I use home-made chicken stock)
- Dried Scallop; soaked and shredded
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- Salt for taste
- Egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoon Potato Flour with 4 tablespoon water (thickener)
- Drain water from the pack of imitation shark’s fin.
- In a pot of boiling water, steam the imitation shark’s fin and dried scallop in a bowl of stock for 10 minutes.
- In another pot boil the chicken stock.
- Add in the imitation shark’s fin and dried scallop.
- Add the oyster sauce and salt for taste.
- When it starts to boil, gradually add in the potato flour mixture till you get the right thickness.
- Turn off heat.
- Now add in the egg gradually.
- Serve with pepper and vinegar
You can add other ingredients like shredded chicken, fish maw, and crabmeat if you like. If it is dried Shark’s Fin you bought, you have to soak the fin before steaming it. And you have to steam for 30 minutes over low fire.