AdSense

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Pan-Baked Sponge Cake

* Cake baked using a frying pan! *


I was looking for my recipe on pan-baked cookies and I found the recipe for pan baked sponge cake instead. Since I had all the ingredients required, I 'baked' this instead of cookie.

This result of the pan-baked cake isn't that bad. It's not as spongy. Although the texture is not a good as the oven-baked version, the taste is quite close. Maybe my measurements, using a lousy weighing scale, is not accurate lah.

So for those who like to try baking but do not have a oven and do not want to spend money buying one (just like me), try this. You will be surprised with the results.

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 50g Fine Sugar
  • 50 Top Flour, sifted
  • 15g Butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence (optional)

Items needed:
  • Baking ring - I'm using 15cm
  • Baking paper, cut to size
  • Flat pan

How to do it:
  1. Beat eggs and sugar together till fluffy.
  2. Fold in the flour till will mixed.
  3. Add in melted butter and vanilla essence.
  4. Mix well.
  5. Lay the baking paper on the pan.
  6. Put the baking ring in the middle.
  7. Pour the cake mixture into the ring.
  8. Cover the pan.
  9. Start 'baking' with small fire for about 20 minutes.
  10. Let the cake rest in the pan for a further 15 minutes after fire is turned off.
  11. Remove cake from ring and decorate it as you desire.

* baking in progress *

12 comments:

  1. this one is one yummy looking dessert love strawberries and whipping cream...great combi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute blog! I subscribed - can't wait to see what you come up with. Very creative food presentation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowwwww i will definitely try this out!! my greatest wish is to learn to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aiyoh, the strawberry lover sure will love this. Yum Yum!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wokking mom,

    U r such clever to think of using pan to make cake. Really very impressed with the outlook too.. Makes me drool..

    By the way do you know where can I get japanese white sweeten bean paste?

    ReplyDelete
  6. geez...this is like those steamed cakes ma la gou! Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments!

    our new life, have you tried Isetan supermarket? I remember seeing it there but that was years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this recipe!!! Want to make a cake but I don't hv an oven! Will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meimeijoyful,
    Your are welcome! Hope you will like it! :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you do this?
    Can i do this in a wok instead?
    I don't think my pan cover can cover the whole pan with the cake ring inside.
    Thanks!
    p/s: This is different from steaming right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quinn,
    Wok can't work cos it's not flat. You need to sit it flat to get the heat distributed evenly.
    You can just cover the ring, No proble. Just make use your ring is not full to the top. Give space for the cake to rise.

    Nope, this is not steaming. Doesn't use any water. :)

    ReplyDelete