AdSense

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

New Age Png Kueh 新式饭桃


I have been dying to make some of these Teochew Kueh for a long time. If you know Png Kueh 饭桃, you will noticed that I haven't make it the traditional way, which is a peach-like shape. I didn't want to spend money buying the mould. Wouldn't it be a nice change for the traditional things to get a makeover once a while. It's a great way to get the kids to try it.


Ingredients:


  • Banana Leaf, cut to size (optional)

  • 2 tablespoon oil for stir frying fillings
Kueh Skin:

  • 300g Rice Flour, shifted

  • 2 tablespoon Tapioca Flour, shifted

  • 600ml Water

  • 2 tablespoon Oil

  • 1 teaspoon Salt

  • 2 drops Red Food Colouring
Fillings:

  • 300g Glutinous Rice

  • 60g Dried Mushrooms

  • 100g Dried Shrimps

  • 80g Peanuts

  • 2 tablespoon Minced Garlic
Seasonings:

  • 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce

  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
How to do it:

  1. Before making the Kueh skin, how the followings done first.

  2. Soak glutinous rice for 2 hours.

  3. Drain and steam for 1/2 hour or till cooked.

  4. Soak mushroom, dried shrimps, and peanuts separately.

  5. Drain and slice the mushroom.

  6. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in wok.

  7. Add in garlic, mushroom, dried shrimps and peanuts.

  8. Stir fry till fragrant.

  9. Add in seasonings and mix well.

  10. Add in cooked glutinous rice.

  11. Mix well and set aside.

  12. Prepare the kueh skin while steaming the glutinous rice.

  13. Combine all ingredients for kueh skin in a pot.

  14. Mix well to make sure there are no lumps.

  15. Bring mixture to a boil while constantly stirring.

  16. Keep stirring till a dough is formed and not lumpy.

  17. The dough is ready when it is not sticky when touched.

  18. Remove dough from pot and place on tabletop dusted lightly with tapioca flour.

  19. Knead dough well and divided into small portion of ball.

  20. Flatten the dough and wrap in sufficient filling.

  21. Press onto mould (I used a teddy bear mould).

  22. Invert mould and place on greased banana leaf or plate.

  23. Steam over high heat for 10 - 15 minutes.

  24. Brush steamed kuehs with cooked oil after steaming so they they will not stick to each other.
Note:

  • Alternative way of eating is to pan fried the kueh till the skin is slightly brown and crunchy. Serve with some sweet black sauce.

  • Omit the kueh skin, and make a slight adjustment to the cooking and you will have Chut Bee Png 糯米饭 instead.


* Pan fried Png Kueh *

10 comments:

  1. So cute! Kids will definitely have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am studying your recipe because I am serious about making this. I still have the Ang Ku mold that Mom sent me. One question, is the peanut raw peanuts, soft peanuts or roasted peanuts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LZmommy,
    You bake, so sure got a lot of cute mould you can use. ;)

    Lee Ping,
    I use raw peanut, soak to soften. I prefer it not too hard, slightly soft but not those cooked soft peanuts. They will be to squashy. You can used roasted peanuts if you like. Then you dont soak them, just add them to stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah Wah! Next you can next Ang Ku Kueh liow!

    Lucky I also don't have glutinous rice ingredient in my pantry! :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tigerfish,
    Maybe I should! I should do all the teochew stuff, then my father might be proud of me and will scold me for not speaking good Teochew. LOL

    Go buy some and make lah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. actually you should add some oil into the dough while stirring in the pot...and maybe you can stir fried the mushroom,shrimps and soaked peanut and then add the uncooked rice...and after frying then put into the ricer cooker and cook...much more easier..=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelvin,
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Working mum
    salute to u , a great baker & cook
    can we add glutinous rice flour to the pastry of png kueh to make q?

    tks
    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy,
    Thanks for your comments but I'm really still trying things out and learning. :)
    I'm not sure about adding glutinous rice flour. As this is rather tedious to make, I never dare tried to change the recipe. :P If you happen to try it, do share with me the results. :)

    ReplyDelete