AdSense

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chut Bee Png 糯米饭


Chut Bee Png 糯米饭 is actually Png Kueh 饭桃 without the pink kueh skin. Some people, usually the Hokkiens, give out Chut Been Png and red eggs during the first month celebration of their new borns. I remembered my ex-colleague, Poi Son, giving us this too for her new born celebration. It was, if I remembered correctly, cooked by her mother and it was delicious. Soft and fluffy!

Ingredients:
  • 200g Glutinous Rice
  • 60g Dried Mushrooms
  • 100g Dried Shrimps
  • 80g Peanuts
  • 2 tablespoon Minced Garlic
Seasonings:
  • 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
How to do it:
  1. Soak glutinous rice for 2 hours.
  2. Drain and steam for 1/2 hour.
  3. Soak mushroom, dried shrimps, and peanuts separately.
  4. Drain and slice the mushroom.
  5. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in wok.
  6. Add in garlic, mushroom, dried shrimps and peanuts.
  7. Stir fry till fragrant.
  8. Add in seasonings and mix well.
  9. Add in steamed glutinous rice.
  10. Mix well with ingredients and seasoning.
  11. Stir fry till fragrant and thoroughly cooked.
  12. Return to steam to for a further 10 minutes to soften it if you like.
Note:
Top it with roasted peanut and fried shallot

8 comments:

  1. i love glutinous rice. my MIL always makes this and lets me pack some to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,
    I love this as a kid and I ate so much till I get indigestion! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the name of this until now. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks more like 油饭 (you peng, hokkien) leh! My mum's friend used to make this for us - glutinous Rice,dried mushrooms,dried shrimps and lean pork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it same as Lo Mae Kay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. East Meets West Kitchen,
    You are welcome!

    Tigerfish,
    This IS 油饭!

    Linda,
    Not exactly the same. One thing for sure, there is no chicken in here. ;) Lo Mai Kai is usually steamed, wrapped with Lotus Leaf and not dark coloured (not dark soy sauce) Maybe I'll do it once of these day

    ReplyDelete
  7. if i dont have glutinious rice, can i use the normal rice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somebodyhastobe,
    hmmm ... I'm not too sure abt it.
    I'm assuming it's not quite possible bcos:

    1. rice grains puff up when cooked. So if you put rice grain in the dough (not possible to add space like rice dumplings), the kueh will turn out of shape.

    2. if you do use rice grains, you will nee to have leaves to wrap it to hold it and keep in in shape. Like Ketupat and Rice Dumpling. I'm not sure how the dough will react being squeezed inbetween the leaves and the rice.

    3. if you use cooked rice instead, I'm afraid it might turn soggy from steam.

    4. then it will not be call chut Bee Png. It will just be Png (kueh) bcos no Chut Bee inside mah. ;)

    These are only my assumption. It might just work! Why not experiment it? If you do, let me know the outcome! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete