AdSense

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Braised Pork Belly

My husband LOVES these fatty pork belly. I'm just the opposite. I'm soooo scared of it. I just can't sink my teeth to the think layers of fats. Not that I'm worried that it will add inches to my waist, I'm just don't the the feel of biting the fats. However, I would still cook this for my husband once a month or every two months. Not too often because I find this really unhealthy.

I cook this two ways. He eat it with either bao or just rice. Whichever way I cook it and whichever way he eat it, he said it's nice. *wink*


:: Braised Pork Belly Slice ::

Ingredients:

  • 1 slice Pork Belly, about 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 Star Anise
  • 2 Cinnamon Stick
  • 600ml Water
  • 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
  • 5 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 8 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
  • Oil for frying
How to do it:

  1. Mix all ingredients except water and oil.
  2. Let the pork stand in the mixture for half an hour.
  3. Deep fry the pork for about 5 minutes till the skin is crispy.
  4. Drain and set aside.
  5. In a pot, pour in the mixture used to marinade the pork and water.
  6. Add in the pork and bring to oil.
  7. Turn down the fire and let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
  8. Eat it with a piece of lettuce between a bao.


:: Braised Pork Belly Cubes ::

Ingredients:

  • 1 slice Pork Belly, about 1 1/2 inch thick
  • 3 straw strings (those used to tie rice dumplings), soak in water to soften
  • 2 Star Anise
  • 2 Cinnamon Stick
  • 800ml Water
  • 5 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 8 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
  • 2 tablespoon Sugar
  • 2 tablespoon Oil

How to do it:

  1. Cut pork into cubes or cut equally to 3 to 4 pieces.
  2. Tie the pork with strings and blanch.
  3. Heat wok with oil, add sugar.
  4. Caramelize the sugar by stir frying it till golden brown.
  5. Add water and bring to boil.
  6. Add in anise, cinnamon, light soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine.
  7. Bring to boil.
  8. Add in the pork cubes.
  9. Turn down the heat and simmer for 3 - 4 hours.
  10. Serve with rice.
Note:
I tied the pork cubes to prevent the layers of pork from separating and falling off.

6 comments:

  1. Hahha...how come your braised pork belly still got tie ribbons wan? You want to give away as presents izit?

    I'm thick-skinned - I can accept any food gifts from you :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tigerfish,
    Yah, can give away as presents for those who are not scare of adding an extra inch to their waist. hehehee~ You want? hehehe~!

    I have to tie so it will not fall off into pieces because it's really soft after hours of braising. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my hubby will be drooling if he see this. :) I rarely cook this, like you, I don't like it. At least you cook it every month for your hubby :) My hubby probably get to eat this once every few months. Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LZmommy,
    Men like to eat these fatty stuff hor. Dont like your hubby see, if not later pester you to make liao! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear WokkingMum... i think i'm become your fan ... i love what i'm seeing.. i got to taste one those gooooooooodiessssssss...i'll go back and try your recipe.. Where??? How did you manage to get .... cook all this.. i want to know... i want to know...your new FAN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange Currencies,
    Thank you.
    I followed step by step from cookery book when I first started to cook. After sometime I just develop my own style of cooking. ;)

    ReplyDelete