In my last post, I mentioned that I will be sharing how I did the sushi-style Fish-paste Tofu.
This is one of my kids' favourite. It's a good alternative to get the kids to eat their vegetables. I used to make this for them when they are younger and they love it because of the colours but had no idea the colours with make using vegetables.
Once they accepted the dish and were always requesting for it, I reveal to them the 'mystery ingredients'. They began to realise then that 'some' vegetables are really not that hard to swallow. ;)
You can also add in some other chopped ingredients for texture. However, do not overload the additional ingredients. As the fish paste may not be able to hold it together if there are too much of it.
- 200g Fish Paste
- 1 tube Egg Tofu
- 1/3 Carrot or 1 handful Broccoli Florets
- Corn Flour for dusting
- Oil for pan-frying
- Optional chopped ingredients
- a stalk Spring Onion; green part only, if using to tie to rice ball
How to do it:
- Mix or blend all ingredients, except spring onions, till smooth.
- If adding chopped ingredients, add only after blending.
- Oil a dish.
- Spread paste in dish.
- Steam for 15 - 20 mins, depending on thickness of paste.
- Cut into smaller pieces and remove carefully from dish. You can flip it over to a bigger plate if the cooked tofu is not to deep. Otherwise the tofu will break into pieces from the drop.
- Dust lightly with corn flour.
- Pan fry on all sides till lightly brown.
- Side aside.
- Meanwhile, boil some water with half a teaspoon oil.
- Turn off heat and place in the fish paste tofu on the rice ball and tie with soften spring onion.
- I didn't not add any seasoning as fish paste is usually seasoned.
- You may wish to add 1/2 teaspoon light sauce and a dash of pepper when blending the mixture if you like.
- You can try using other vegetables if you like.