AdSense

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Stir-fried Hokkien Mee
福建面


My mother used to cook this or something like this when I was a kid. She always said she cook it 'anyhow'. ;) My mother never really do much cooking.  She came from a big family and according to her, she was assigned the duty of washing clothes for the family. Hence, she knows nuts about cooking. So, this explains why I started picking up cooking only after my elder son turned almost 3.:P

I never get to learn how to cook this from her in the end, because each time she cooked, it looked and tasted a bit different (due to the ingredients she used) and she would said just 'anyhow' cook if I asked. LOL

Years later when I started working, I realised that what my mother did could be the local zichar's Hokkien Mee.:D

This, here you see, is my replica of the zichar's Hokkien Mee (without using lard) though. Not my mum's version. XD

Ingredients:
  • 200g Flat Yellow Noodles
  • 100g Lean Pork, sliced
  • 6 medium Prawns, shelled and deviened
  • 200g Choy Sum
  • 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
  • 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
  • 1 teaspoon Corn Flour
  • a pinch of Salt

Seasonings:
  • 300ml Water or Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • Corn flour Mixture

How to do it:
  1. Marinate pork slices with a pinch of salt and corn flour.
  2. Set aside.
  3. Blanched noodles, drain and set aside.
  4. Stir-fry 1/4 tablespoon garlic in a tablespoon oil till fragrant.
  5. Add in the pork slices and prawns.
  6. Stir fry till just cooked.
  7. Dish out and set aside.
  8. In the same wok, add in the remaining oil and garlic.
  9. Stir-fry till fragrant.
  10. Add in the blanched noodles.
  11. Toss to coat well with garlic and oil.
  12. Add in water and bring to a boil.
  13. Add in the seasonings, except for salt and corn flour mixture.
  14. Cook till noodle is well cooked but not marshy.
  15. Add in the choy sum, the pre-cooked pork slices and prawns.
  16. Mix well with noodles and sauce.
  17. Gradually, stir in the corn flour mixture to thicken the sauce.
  18. Serve immediately.

Note:
  • Adjust the 'darkness' of the sauce by adjusting the amount of Dark Soy Sauce. Usually a premium Dark Soy Sauce is thicker and darker.
  • The amount of Oyster Sauce and Light Soy Sauce used to season the noodles also depends on if you are using water or chicken broth. Please adjust according to your taste.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine, need to cook the veggie before putting in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine, this is one of my favorite dish. And I have cooked this twice for my family they love it too! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, May I know this receive for how many pax?

    ReplyDelete