AdSense

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sweet Vingeared Pork

My MIL used to be a very good cook. I wished she would teach me her Sweet and Sour Pork 咕噜肉. It's to die for! It's the best that I have eaten so far. Oh, I did ask her many times over the year how she did it.

She always says, "Just cook like this lor." When I refused to accept "just cook like this" and probed further, she would say, "Well, you just fry the pork and put the sauce lah." Oh, oooooookay. Looks like I'm not going to get anything out from her. It has been so many years already. LOL

I don't think I could ever achieve my Sweet and Sour Pork 咕噜肉 anything close to hers. Crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside with just the right amount of sweet and sour taste. Hmmm .... I miss it so much! I could eat 2 bowls of rice with it alone! Just super! Don't tell me to ask her how it is done. I know what answers I'll get! LOL

So I kind of take a break from experimenting with that dish (for the moment) and came up with this instead. Sweet and Sour Pork 咕噜肉 and Sweet Vinegar Pork 糖醋肉 (usually ribs 排骨 are used, hence 糖醋排骨)is two different dishes, though both have the sweet and sour taste. 咕噜肉 uses tomato and chilli sauces. Where as 糖醋肉 has none of the two. It uses sugar 糖 and vinegar醋.

Ingredients:

  • 250g Pork (五花肉)
  • 2 tablespoon Cornflour
  • 2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
  • 1 Egg Yolk
  • Oil for frying
Sauce:
  • 3 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 4 tablespoon Sugar
  • 3 tablespoon Black Vinegar
  • 60ml Water
How to do it:
  1. Marinade pork with light soy sauce, cooking wine and egg yolk for at least half an hour.
  2. Heat a pot of oil.
  3. Coat pork with cornflour and deep fry till golden brown or cooked.
  4. Remove and drain.
  5. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok, add in sauce.
  6. Stir slowly till the sauce thicken.
  7. Add in the pork and coat evenly.
  8. Dish and serve.

5 comments:

  1. That looks great -- I'd love to have some with sticky rice or low mein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my MIL makes a cake that my hubby loves..a pineapple upside down cake with chocolate...she serves it only on special occasions or by request..so once i asked her for the recipe so i could make it for her son...and she left out two ingredients on purpose so i would not be able to replicate it!!@
    to this day she will not give it and i am married 30 years

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! This looks really delicioussss... something that i'd have second bowl of rice with! wanna try it some day! :D thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,
    Thanks. You like sticky rice too? I can have this alone with rice.

    East meets west kitchen,
    Thanks!

    Blondee47,
    Haha ... I fully understand what you are saying!. Maybe MILs are afraid if we could replicate it, then that dish wont be so special for them to prepare anymore. LOL. I wont happen to me when I'm someone's MIL bcos my DIL will have this blog for reference. hahaha ...

    Jane,
    Thanks! Yes, I love it with rice too!

    ReplyDelete