When you see me posting a recipe on prawns, you should guess I managed to get fresh live prawns. Yes, I did get live prawns, Tiger Prawns some more! I love it so did the kids. Not because they like to eat prawns, but because they like to play with it. They like to see how they jump out the little basin I hold them in and when they hold on to the their 'moustache', to see how their legs move. So torturing!
Live prawns is best to be eaten steamed. They taste great without any seasonings - just steam with the prawns alone and nothing else. That, we call 白绰虾. The prawns taste sweet! This time round I'm going to steam it with Angelica Sinensis aka 当归. This Chinese herb is also know as the female Ginseng aka 人参 and is very good in treating mild anemia. So, for the ladies, after 'the period' of each month, cook something with 当归. Good for you! *wink* Well, that's what my aunt always say. My little girl is already loving this herb. She loves the soup! Smart girl! 实货!
- 12 medium to large Prawns, preferably live prawns
- 4 slices Angelica Sinensis aka 当归
- 1/2 handful Wolfberries aka 枸杞子
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
- 100ml water
- A pinch of salt
- 2 slice Ginger (if you are not using live prawns)
- Put all ingredients except prawns, in a bowl and steam it for 30 minutes to release the flavour of Angelica Sinensis.
- Lay the prawns in a deep dish.
- Pour the sauce with the herbs over the prawns.
- Return to steam for 7 minutes, longer if you refrigerate it or till cook.
- Indulge now!
- Now, don't go using chopsticks, fork or knife. Use your fingers to eat these!
- And don't leave out the heads! Suck them hard!
- Don't forget to finish the soup too!
Oh, if you not a fan of Chinese Herbs, leave it out or better still, hop on to Tigerfish's blog to grab her yummilicious, Drunken Prawns.