My kids love Mui Fun 绘饭. I'm not quite sure if there's a English word for Mui Fun. Probably not. In fact, Mui Fun is a Cantonese word. It's actually thick gravy over rice. It's an easy one dish meal for lazy mum like me.
The usually Mui Fun we had, had only fish slices or pork and Chinese Flowering Cabbage in it. Since this is for my kids, I tweak it to make it more enticing for them.
- Ham, cut into smaller pieces
- Carrot, sliced
- Chinese Flowering Cabbage aka 菜心, chopped
- 300ml Broth
- 1 Egg White
- 1 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce (for colour and sweetness but optional)
- Salt to taste
- Cornflour Mixture (thickener)
- a bowl of rice
How to do it:
- Bring broth to a simmer.
- Add in ham, carrot, corn and bring to a boil.
- Add in the Chinese flowering cabbage.
- Add light soy sauce and salt to taste.
- Gradually add in the cornflour mixture to thicken the gravy.
- Stir in the egg white.
- Pour gravy over a bowl of rice.
- Serve immediately.