AdSense

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hot and Sour Soup 酸辣汤


Many years ago, I found a stall at Beach Road Hawker Center, selling Hot and Sour Noodle, while working nearby. I left that company after a short stint and when I returned to the hawker center, the stall selling this noodle was nowhere to be found.

To curb my cravings for the soup, I used instant Hot and Sour Soup mix, till I got married and started cooking. I'm not sure how the authentic version is done, mine is really simple and quick.

Ingredients:
  • 700ml Chicken Broth
  • 3 tablespoon Black Vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce or Salt to taste
  • 1 teaspoon White Pepper Powder
  • 2 Egg Whites or 1 Egg, beaten
  • Cornflour Mixture (thickener)
A handful each of the followings:
  • Chicken Breast meat, cooked and shredded
  • Black Wood Ear aka Black Fungus, shredded
  • Bamboo Shoots, shredded
  • Carrot, shredded
  • Dried Chinese Mushrooms, soak to softened and sliced thinly
  • Tofu, cut into strips
How to do it:
  1. Put all the shredded ingredients in the broth.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Add the vinegar, light soy sauce and pepper, to be adjusted to your taste.
  4. When the soup begins to boil, gradually add in the cornflour mixture to achieve your desire thickness.
  5. Turn off heat and stir in the egg white.
Note:
To add extra spicy taste to it, add some chilli hot.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Do you normally make your own broth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband likes hot and sour soup...I'll have to make this for him soon. Do you think this would be too spicy for the kids?

    -jaden
    ps. can u please change the link to my site to my new website URL?
    http://steamykitchen.com/blog

    thank u!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC,
    Yes, I make my own broth and freeze it in portion I usually use for soup and also in ice cube trays for sauce and gravy.
    Please see ...
    http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2007/04/home-made-chicken-broth.html
    http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2007/04/home-made-bone-broth.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaden,
    Hope your husband will like it ...
    I guess it depends on how the kids can handle spicy food and for this dish ... the sour taste too.

    Wow! You got your own site!! How wonderful! I'll update it! Thanks for informing me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the broth recipes. I will give them a go one day. :)

    ReplyDelete