Many years ago, I found a stall at Beach Road Hawker Center, selling Hot and Sour Noodle, while working nearby. I left that company after a short stint and when I returned to the hawker center, the stall selling this noodle was nowhere to be found.
To curb my cravings for the soup, I used instant Hot and Sour Soup mix, till I got married and started cooking. I'm not sure how the authentic version is done, mine is really simple and quick.
- 700ml Chicken Broth
- 3 tablespoon Black Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce or Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper Powder
- 2 Egg Whites or 1 Egg, beaten
- Cornflour Mixture (thickener)
- Chicken Breast meat, cooked and shredded
- Black Wood Ear aka Black Fungus, shredded
- Bamboo Shoots, shredded
- Carrot, shredded
- Dried Chinese Mushrooms, soak to softened and sliced thinly
- Tofu, cut into strips
- Put all the shredded ingredients in the broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the vinegar, light soy sauce and pepper, to be adjusted to your taste.
- When the soup begins to boil, gradually add in the cornflour mixture to achieve your desire thickness.
- Turn off heat and stir in the egg white.
To add extra spicy taste to it, add some chilli hot.