AdSense

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Black Pepper Crayfish


I love seafood. I used to cook Chilli Crab a lot but I have stop cooking crabs a long time now. Black Pepper Crab is one of my favourites too. Since I don't buy crabs anymore, I have find other replacements for crabs.

In this case, I'm using Crayfish. It taste almost as good as crabs! Take a look at the photo below. One whole piece of meat right into your mouth! How do you like that?! Hope you are not salivating now! hehehe ...



Ingredients:
  • 3 Crayfish, scrub to clean and chopped in half
  • 3 tablespoon Butter
  • 2 Red Chilli, seeded and finely chopped
  • 4 tablespoon Black Pepper, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Minced Onion
  • 1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 2 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
  • 1/2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 5 tablespoon water
  • 2 teaspoon Sugar
  • Cornflour for dusting
  • Oil for frying

How to do it:
  1. Dry-fry black pepper till fragrant.
  2. Remove and set aside.
  3. Pat dry the crayfish and dust with flour
  4. Deep fry till golden brown
  5. Heat wok, add the butter.
  6. When the butter has melted and begins to sizzles, add the garlic, onions and chilli and stir fry fragrant.
  7. Add the oyster sauce, light soya sauce, sugar, pepper and cooking wine.
  8. Mix well.
  9. Add in the water.
  10. Add the crayfish and stir fry on high heat till the sauce has dry.
  11. Dish and serve.

Note:
  • If you can't take it too spicy, leave out the red chilli or add more if you want it more spicy.
  • Replace light soy sauce with 2 teaspoon of dark soy sauce instead for colour, if you like.
  • You can add some curry leaves when you are frying garlic and onion to add fragrance.
  • Remove when the leaves turn dark green and are crispy. Add them only at the end for garnishing.


17 comments:

  1. I've never seen fish that look like that or have been cooked like that. Interesting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    Crayfish is not really a fish. I think it's called crawfish too. It's like lobster with a flat head.

    In Singapore, Black Pepper Crab is the 2nd most famous seafood after Chilli Crab. I'm using the same way to cook Crayfish instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aiyo.... looks so yummy lar... make me feel hungry only...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Life Zone,
    haha ... like that ah? buy/cook this for dinner tonight lah! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. so to choose fresh de crayfish?? cray fish de head de thing can't eat de rite??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,
    When I bought my crayfish, they are already dead but they are fresh. Yeah, only eat the fleshy meat. Anyway, nothing much in the head. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mm.. actually is crayfish = 大頭蝦,my hubby got high cholestrol, i had reduce a lot on prawns, crabs.. etc. I only go market once a wk in wkend .. got to plan ahead... :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. my life zone,
    I dont think Crayfish is 大頭蝦 leh. 大頭蝦 is still prawn but with very big head. Where the joy is sucking the juice out of the head. That really have very high level of cholesterol lor.

    Some people call crayfish 小龙虾. In hokkien, it's called hay-bor. The head is flat and we dont eat the stuff in the head, just the meat only.

    Oh, high cholesterol ah? Then best not to eat to much or too often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds delicious! i came here through your squid post. i'm not a big fan of squid, but i must admit this sounds delicious! :) i might even try it. my brother fishes for squid, but it's not the season now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry... left out the ? (question marks).. actually asking u is clayfish = 大頭蝦?? now in know is little 'lobster'.. hardly find in my place... thx for the info...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaden,
    Yes, those are curry leaves. ;)

    Oxford University,
    You should try this on fish too. It taste great too!! Especially when you can get all the fresh fishes from your brother. Hope you do try it.

    My life zone,
    No problem. You can try it with fish or prawns too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i cannot take wine. what is other alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @hannah, leave it out. It helps bring out the flavours but without it doesn't make it less tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. how to cook chilli crayfish? my hubby been asking for it but i dunno how. haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Mabel, I'm not sure what type of chili crayfish you are looking for. You can try this recipe => http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2007/06/chilli-soft-shell-clams.html Just replace the clams with crayfish or crabs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's 1 of my favorite dish in sg!!! super love it!!!

    ReplyDelete