AdSense

Monday, June 25, 2007

Udon in Dashi Broth



I had in mind to cook Nabeyaki Udon. Then I realised I don't have a metal pot not even a small claypot. I do have a claypot but it's too big. You see having Nabeyaki Udon, would mean, serving it in a metal pot and having it in the casserole way. I got no metal pot, can't call this Nabeyaki Udon.

No tempura here, so not Tempura Udon too. There's an egg in here. Only if it right on top and in the middle, then I could call it Tsukimi Udon. But since, my egg was refrigerated, it will be much difficult to cook if it's on top. I don't want to get stomach upset. Guess, I just missed the chance to call the Tsukimi Udon.

Tsukimi, meaning "viewing the moon", with the egg as the full moon surrounded by noodles, as clouds. Mine got no full moon. It's a cloudy day! *wink*



Ingredients:
  • 2 packet of precook udon
  • Assorted ingredients, I used Shitake Mushrooms, Carrot, Crabstick and Fish Rolls
  • 2 tablespoon Mirin
  • 2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 2 Egg, 1 each per serving
Dashi Stock:
  • 1.5 litre of water
  • 20g Kelp aka Konbu
  • 15g Bonito Flakes
How to do it:
  1. Blanch the precooked udon and set aside.
  2. To make Dashi, soak kelp in a pot of 1 litre of water for 2 to 3 hours.
  3. Bring the water with kelp to simmer.
  4. Turn of the heat before it starts to boil.
  5. Remove the kelp.
  6. Bring to boil for 1 minute and turn off heat
  7. Add the remaining water to reduce temperature.
  8. Add in the bonito flakes.
  9. Do not stir. Let it stand for 20 mintues.
  10. Strain and the soup base is ready to use.
  11. Add mirin and light soy sauce.
  12. Add the assorted ingredients and udon.
  13. Bring to a boil.
  14. Serve udon with an egg.
Note:
The Dashi made here is the very basic Japanese Broth. It can used in Miso Soup, Chawamushi, Sauces, Soup.


* Kelp and Bonito Flakes *

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite foods is food that looks like art. You took the time to cut your carrots into flower and made visible slits on your shitake mushroom to make it look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee Ping,
    Thank you. I tried to 'beautify' my food if I can afford the time. It makes it even more appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    May I know how much water for the dashi stock is required? There seems to be a typo error.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete