AdSense

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Pandan Chicken
香兰炸鸡块


I made these before through "experiments". These current ones are also through my cooking experiments. In fact, lots of my cooking were done through a few experiments before they are post, ie, presentable and edible. You are not worried are you? Hehehe~

I remembered quite some time back, while discussing about making this dish, my friend Fern suggested I add turmeric and some other spices to it. "Fern, what other spices did you suggest har? I only remember turmeric leh. Tell me if you are reading this, okay?"

Anyway, this is the results of my yet another cooking experiments. My husband said it taste better than the first one. I think so too. I guess this is another successful experiment!


Ingredients:
  • 3 chicken breast, debone and cut into bite size
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
  • 1 tablespoon Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
  • 2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon Turmeric aka Kunyit Powder
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder (I use McCormick. Alternatively, you can grind garlic into paste)
  • Pandan Leaves, washed and dried
  • Oil for frying
How to do it:
  1. Marinate chicken with all the ingredients except pandan leaves and oil for frying, for at least 1/2 hours.
  2. Wrap chicken with a piece of pandan leaf; sorry no instructions here as there's no one to help be video or take pic here. Mine looks like a dumpling.
  3. Deep fry the pandan wrapped chicken till the leaves are slightly brown and the meat is cooked.
  4. Dish, drain and serve.



* Pandan wrapped Chicken before bathing in hot oil *

9 comments:

  1. I made this once, I followed recipe from internet but forgot which one. I just remember that I used coconut milk, coriander powder and oyster sauce.

    Your wrapping is so nice. I don't know how to wrap. When I made this, I had to use toothpick to hold the leaves haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    Wow! Thanks! More experiments for me! :D

    Do you know how to wrap dumplings? It's very similar and the last part, just go thru a fold to secure it. Confusing? I'll find a way to record on video then next time I try with your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh darn! I have no idea how to wrap these! I have seen them done like a triangle for sticky rice.....grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asiangarden,
    Hahaha ... I must find a way to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wokkingmum,

    I saw my mom wrapped it and I understand what you said. But when I tried, it was just so messy haha. Maybe my chicken was too big.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not the only one that uses toothpick. Look at this
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6620/chicken+in+pandan+leaves
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you wrapped the chicken. Now I'll have to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,
    Yah, it can be messy. You have to cut your chicken to small bite size bcos the Pandan Leaves we have are quite thin. If your chicken is too big - difficult to wrap leh. You might end up having to wrap like what it is done in the link you send me leh. Hehehehe. But it's cute!


    EastMeets West Kitchen,
    Thanks! Try and experiement it and you might just discover your own way to do it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is tumeric powder same as tumeric aka kunyit powder? If not, where to get?

    ReplyDelete