There's a craze about Donuts now in Singapore. Donut Shops are opening one after another and the queue for them are ridiculously long. My son loves donuts but not me, so you won't catch me queuing up just to buy 2 donuts for him. It's crazy!
Anyway, we can always making our own. In fact, floggers are already making it or writing about it! Look here and here. I too am going to try too! *wink* However, anything with Yeast in it will means you have to wait of at least an hour or two unless you have a bread machine, which I don't. Soooo, I have decided to experiment making donuts without yeast instead. And voila! See my ball donuts without using yeast! But I have to confess. It tasted more like cake but it smells so nice and it taste great too! My hubby and son said it even better than the yeast Donut! Waahh ... so comforting! LOL Hmm ... I haven't given up, yet! I'll be experimenting more! So watch my blog!
// I'm not using a scale to get the measurement because it won't be accurate with my toy like weighing scale. I'm using measuring cups instead. //
- 3 cups Self Raising Flour, shifted
- 3 teaspoon Baking Powder, shifted with flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 50g Butter, soften
- 150ml Milk
- 2 eggs
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Oil for frying
How to do it:
- Mix sugar, salt, butter, milk and eggs together.
- Add flour gradually till all are added in and mixed well.
- Cover your mixing bowl for 20 minutes to let it raise.
- Heat oil in pot for frying, reduce to low heat.
- You can either oil your hand to scoop the mixture and quickly shape them into balls or scoop using spoon.
- Drop your doughs in hot oil for frying.
- Remove when the balls floated up and turned golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar or see below for icing.
:: Buttercream Icing ::
- 4 tablespoon Icing Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 10g Butter, soften
How to do it
- Mix butter and icing sugar.
- Add milk spoon by spoon till mixture become smooth.
Reduce sugar if you just want to use it as a glaze for the donuts.
Love the shimmering icing!
What I did for my cake donuts ...
I reduced the sugar to just 2 tablespoon icing to change it to glaze instead. I dipped the donuts in the bowl of glaze and to a bowl of coloured rice.
If you want to add icing instead, you have to do it after your donut has cooled a little otherwise the icing will melt.