AdSense

Friday, April 27, 2012

Steamed Egg Custard
水蒸蛋


I grew up eating home-cooked food by my mother's friend who would visit us rather often. This is one of the dish that she would prepare, some times with minced pork in it, which I hated. :P I preferred the plain one with nothing in it.

This was the original and the kid's favourite before they were exposed to the Japanese Chawamushi, which the main difference is having Dashi in it.

I made this often at home as the kids doesn't have a chance to eat it elsewhere unless they eat from the "Mixed-Veg" Stall. I always tell them, when I'm their age, this was what I had; minus all the toppings. :P

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • a pinch of salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 160ml water or Chicken Stock
  • 3 tablespoon Chicken stock, divided into 2 portion
  • 3 pieces Imitation Snow Crab Leg, tore into pieces and divided into 2 portion
  • 2-3 tsp Ebiko, divided into 2 portion

How to do it:
  1. Beat egg lightly in a bowl.
  2. Add water or chicken stock and salt. Mix well.
  3. Sieve the egg mixture if you want a smoother result.
  4. Pour into 2 bowls or cups.
  5. Cover the bowls or cups with cling wrap or aluminum foil.
  6. Heat a pot of water for steaming
  7. When the water is boiling, put in the bowls or cups of egg mixture.  
  8. Steam on high heat for 7 minutes.
  9. Remove and place imitation snow crab leg on the the egg custard.
  10. Add in additional 1 1/2 chicken stock over the snow crab leg.
  11. Return to steam at a lower heat for a further 1 minute or till egg custard is completely set.
  12. Remove and top with Ebiko.
  13. Serve immediately.

Note:
  • To make Chawamushi, replace chicken stock with Dashi Stock and 2 teaspoon Mirin.
  • You can use other ingredients as the toppings too.
  • When steaming the egg, the bowls or cups should not be touching the water. You want to steam it not boil it.

1 comment:

  1. Elaine... I just have to let you know that I made the chawan mushi version of this.... and it was deeeeeeelicious. My family really liked it. Thank you for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete