AdSense

Friday, June 6, 2008

Pan Grilled Bacon rolled Prawns


Two of my son's favourites are here, prawn and streaky bacon. I used some of the bacon for previous dish and the rest were used here.

My son had this with his tomato sauce and I have it with my sweet and spicy sauce. And my daughter just ate the bacon. ^_^"

To do this, you will only need large prawns and bacon. Smaller prawns are not advisable to be used here as they will end up being dry and hard.

First, you have to shell your prawns. The head and shells can be retained to make Laksa. Then pierce a wooden skewer through the prawn from the tail-end. Oh, and please remember to wet the wooden skewer first. This is to prevent it from burning during the grilling process.

Next, wrap a bacon from the tail-end with the fatty part of the bacon 'outside'. Overlap the bacon a little and continue wrapping till the whole prawn is covered. Tuck the loose end of the bacon in. If you have no idea how to do it, just use a toothpick to secure. Likewise, wet the toothpick first before use. You can season with some ground black pepper and set them to grill till cooked. Remove the toothpick and serve.

If you have the time, the best way to do this is to partially cook the bacon first. It should not be brown; just cooked. This should take about less than 1 minute. Let it cool then starts with the wrapping. This is to ensure that the prawn that is wrapped inside will not be over cooked and become dried. You can use this method too if you are not using large prawns.

You can also do this using the oven if you like. I haven't seen the grilled marks on my food for a long time so I'm using the grill pan this time. ;)

Try some for the weekends. Enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. hahahah thank u for the note.... quickly i rush to ur blog... at wrong timing again...
    1241am... n im looking at ur bacon prawn.. n my stomach... grwww.. liao.. hungry...

    erm erm bacon with fat ah.... dare not eat... but still mouth watering... any solution to that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! Bacon wrapped scallops are also amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jolene,
    Hahaha ...

    The fats will be gone after grilling leh. If not you can remove the fatty parts.

    MrBaconpants,
    Thanks. I did that too. Have a look ... http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2007/02/scallop-bacon-wraps.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yummy. Large prawns are one of my faves. Everything about this dish is nice - from the ingredients to the presentation to the sauce ;) Really love the angle in your photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noobcook,
    Thanks! My photo are nothing compared to yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wokkingmum, I don't know if you know but I think I saw your picture here:

    http://www.tasteandseefood.com/moremenu.htm

    I don't think so, I'm pretty sure because the word http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com is written across this picture. And your roast chicken with bacon photo is there too.

    You might wanna check that out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wokkingmum, someone stole your beautiful photographs and is using them on their restaurant/catering website! =/

    As Quinn noted, it's at http://www.tasteandseefood.com/moremenu.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anon, Thanks for pointing out. Don't know why I missed reading Quinn's message.

    If they, who are in the food biz have the cheek to claim the photo and recipe as their own, I'll let them. I reserved my rights to pursue though. ;)

    Thanks again and to Quinn too!

    ReplyDelete