I'm a Teochew and I ate Teochew porridge a lot when I was young. In fact, everytime when it's my father's offday, he will cook porridge with a few side dishes like this, this or this. His offday would mean bean sprouts plucking day for me too. Because I have to pluck a big bag of bean sprouts! We won't miss the Salted eggs and Fermented Bean Curd on the table too when we have porridge.
The other day I was hungry and since there was a leftover bowl of my daughter's porridge and a piece of tau kwa (firm tofu) in the fridge which I decided not to use for dinner, I did this and that settled my supper. So Teochew. My late grandfather would have loved this.
- 1 piece Tau Kwa (firm tofu), drained and cut into cubes
- Oil of frying
Seasonings to be mixed together:
- 1 piece Fermented Bean Curd
- 1/2 tablespoon Sauce from fermented bean curd
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 20ml Water
How to do it:
- Deep fried Tau Kwa till golden brown.
- Drain and transferred to a wok.
- Add in the seasonings.
- Stir fry well till the cubes are well coated.
- Continue stir frying till the sauce is almost dried.
- Dish and serve with hot plain porridge.
- Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.