I tweaked and combined a few recipes to come up with this dish; because I wanted to eat everything from all those dishes. ;)
My son is a rice (and soup) person. He will ask for rice even when I made chicken cutlet. Hence, this time, I decided to do a western-style chicken rice. The rice here was cooked Hainanese Chicken Rice style, but with homemade chicken broth and garlic only. I didn't use pandan leaves as I didn't want a clash of flavours with the western-style chicken.
I usual roast or grill a whole chicken but the breast meat always get 'abandoned'. So this time, I used boneless chicken thighs instead. It's is also easier to serve and less messy to eat.
The chicken is a combo of 3 old recipes I have. It has the Herbs from Grilled Chicken with Herbs, the Bacon from Roast Chicken with Bacon and the Garlic from Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lemon .
- 4 boneless Chicken Thighs or Legs, cleaned and pat dry
- 2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- Rind of 1 whole Lemon
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 20 gloves Garlic, skin intact
- 6 to 8 Slices Streaky Bacon
- 150ml Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoon Sake or any other cooking wine
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
How to do it:
- Rub 2/3 of the herbs and lemon rind on all the chicken thighs.
- Season and rub with salt and pepper.
- Lay chicken thighs on a baking dish.
- Place bacon strips over the chicken thighs, covering them.
- Drizzle lemon juice and olive oil over.
- Sprinkle the remaining herbs and lemon rind.
- Scatter the garlic around the baking dish.
- Pour chicken stock and wine into the dish.
- Roast in a preheat oven at 200c for 10 -15 mins or till the bacon starts to turn crispy and brown.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Continue to roast the chicken for another hour, basting it with juice from the dish occasionally to let the chicken meat absorb the flavours.
- Do not bast chicken during the last 15 mins of roasting to let the chicken skin become dry and turn crispy.
- You may want to return the bacon strips back to the chicken to let it heat up for 5 mins.
- Remove chicken from dish and drain roasting juice from excess oil.
- Chop chicken into smaller pieces and place bacon together.
- Drizzle juice over rice if you like.
- Serve chicken and bacon rice with the sweet garlic.
- As different oven works differently, please adjust the timing or temperature accordingly.
- If the chicken is browning too fast, lower the temperature and roast longer.
- Alternatively, you may wish to place a foil tent over the bacon/chicken to prevent them from browning to fast on the top but under-cook inside.