I loveeeee clams in clear soup served in Japanese Restaurant but the clams are so miserable after charging so much for a portion. :/
Do you know it's super easy to make it yourself at home. ;) Yes, I always say that :P but it is really easy. Trust me and you have have as much clams you like in the soup. :D
- 12 Short Neck Clams or any other Clams (Short Neck Clams are sweeter)
- 1/2 to 1 packet Enoki Mushroom (optional)
- 3 slices Ginger, julienned
- 140ml water
- 1 teaspoon Dashi Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sake
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Light Soy Sauce to taste
How to do it:
- Soak clams in salted water to let it 'spit' out sand.
- Steam clams for 10 minutes or till are slightly opened.
- Discard those that remain closed.
Remove clams and set aside
- Sieve and reserve liquid from steaming the clams.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil.
- Add in the reserved clam juice and the rest of the ingredients, except salt and light soy sauce.
- Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Season with salt and light soy sauce.
I did an extra step of steaming the clam to make sure all clams are good. I don't want to risk having a clam that is bad cooking in the soup. It happened to me before and I had to throw away the whole soup. :( This extra step also help filters any sand/dirt that was not expel out previously from the soaking.