AdSense

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Grilled Sambal Squid
参巴烏賊


I have a craving to make sambal belacan yesterday, mainly because my husband is not in Singapore. I good time to make it! ;) He hates the odor. I think it's aroma. XD

I couldn't decided to grilled in the oven or in the Happy Call Pan. Sally, a fellow HCP member, suggested using the pan (but of course). I took up the challenge and put my dinner at risk. XD

I must say I'm lucky I took the risk. The squid is very soft, not chewy at all, even after reheating. Even my son who dislike eating squid, love it.

You will realised that I used a banana leaf. It also helps in the cooking as it acts as a barrier between the squid and the pan. There no direct contact with the heat source, tendency of over-cooking is minimised. The sambal that spilled over the banana leaf were thicken and slightly caramelised but not those that were on the leaf. If you are unable to get hold of a banaa leaf, you will have to cook at a lower heat and move the pan a lot.

Here's my recipe using the sambal belacan I shared before this post.




Ingredients:
  • 3 medium Squid
  • 1 Banana Leaf
  • 1 Shallot, sliced
  • 1 Lime
  • 1 petals from Pink Ginger Flower Bud, sliced thinly (optional)
  • 3 tablespoon Sambal Belacan, homemade or store bought

How to do it:
  1. Add in squid to sambal belacan and marinade for 30 minutes.
  2. Grease pan with a bit of oil and heat pan on medium high heat.
  3. Place a piece banana leaf in the pan and spread the squid with the sambal on it.
  4. Cover the pan and cook for 6 minutes.
  5. Open the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
  6. Top with ginger flower and cover pan for half a minute.
  7. Open the pan, dished top with sliced shallot and drizzle with lime juice.
  8. Serve immediately.


2 comments:

  1. This dish is awesome! I love sambal belacan and i remember my dad used to make it at least once a mth when we were in school so that my brother won't complaint about the "aroma" lolz. This dish indeed brings back my childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hahaha ... Yes, the smell is rather strong. You either you like it or not. And I love it though I got to admit, I had a hard time clearing the smell from the house. :P

      Delete