One night when the kids had gone to bed, I suddenly had the urge to bake something. With all the ingredients I had, Choux was the only thing I could do.
In case you are wondering, Choux is what its used as the shell of cream puffs, profiteroles and eclairs. Okay, we always call it the puff lah.
As I didn't prepare to make this, I didn't get the ingredients to do the custard. Lucky for me, I had whipped cream and Strawberry Puree meant to make this. So I just use those on mine instead. And that was what me and my husband had as midnight snack and what my son had for tea the next day! ;)
- 20g butter
- 60ml Water
- 35g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Egg
How to do it:
- Combine butter with water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add in flour and beat with wooden spoon over heat till the mixture doesn't stick to the base and side of pot and forms a smooth ball.
- Let it cool a little and add in egg.
- Beat with electric beater till it becomes glossy.
- Spoon mixture into pipping bag.
- Pipe small amount of choux pastry leaving 5cm apart on baking tray. Remember to put on your glove to do this because it's really hot!
- Baked in a preheat oven at 200C for 7 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 170c and continue baking for 10minutes.
- Cut open the puff and bake for a further 5 minutes or till dry.
- Remove and let it cool.
- To serve, just add whipped cream in the puff and drizzle with cold strawberry sauce.
- Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.