How do you fry your egg? My husband like his sunny-side up. I like mine with the yolk covered by the white, like pouched eggs. My kids obviously like them in shapes! Seen here is the star-shaped fried eggs. *wink*
It's a bit more work to do this but I like to see how the kids sitting at the table waiting to see what shapes will their eggs be like. It made their meals more enjoyable. This is great for bento too. Wanna know how I do it? Nah, I'm not telling. Kidding.
You will need two cookie cutters, one large cookie cutter and another medium cookie cutter. The size of the cookie cutter depends on the size of egg you are using. I'm using two same shape cutters. You can have different shapes, like a big star with a small heart for example.
How to do it:
- Heat and oil your frying pan.
- Oil both whole cookie cutters on all sides.
- Place the cutters in the pan with the smaller cutter in the larger one.
- Crack and separate the yolk.
- Place the yolk in the smaller cutter and the white in the larger one.
- Use a toothpick to spread the egg if necessary.
- Continue frying on low heat till it's half set.
- Carefully pour in some hot water around the large cookie cutter to cook the egg till the whites are set. ** You can omit adding water and continue frying till it set but I prefer to use water so the base won't be hard from frying (my kids won't eat it.)
- Use a spatula (with slots if you have used water), to remove the egg. Be careful because the white and yolk will separate if you oiled the cutters well enough.
- Place it on a plate and remove the cookie cutters from the egg.
- Serve immediately.