I have been wanting to try making ice-cream on my own for quite some time, especially after reading this! But Vi's method requires half and half (of milk and cream) and kosher salt which I could only get at certain supermarket at town. I decided to do the the 'normal' method without the ice-cream maker.
- 2 egg yolks
- 75g Sugar
- 250ml Milk
- 300ml Thickened Cream
- 1 Vanilla Bean or 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
How to do it:
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine milk and cream in saucepan.
- Split vanilla bean in half, lengthways, and scape the seeds from the bean.
- Add both seeds and bean to the pan.
- Bring milk mixture almost to a boil.
- Remove milk mixture from heat.
- Remove the bean and set aside for washing and drying (please see note below).
- Beat while gradually pour the milk mixture to the egg mixture.
- Cook the combined mixture at low heat, stirring constantly till the it begins to thicken and coats the back of your spoon.
- Add in the vanilla extract now if you are not using vanilla bean.
- Stir to mix well.
- Do not boil the mixture to a boil.
- Transfer to shallow pan and cover the surface of the mixture with cling or plastic wrap.
- Freeze it.
- Remove every hour to stir with a fork.
- Repeat for 5 to 6 times or till it set.
- After washing the vanilla bean, hang it to dry completely. Have it buried in sugar and a week or two later you have have vanilla sugar.
- If you like chocolate flavoured ice-cream, sift in a tablespoon of cocoa powder with the milk and cream. You can use melted chocolate too if you like.
- Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.
* Vanilla Bean Ice-Cream *