AdSense

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Baked Fish in Banana Leaf


This is my husband's favourite fish dish. Phew! At least it's not expensive cod. This is just the opposite. It's cheap! It only cost me a dollar to get one Selar. But it doesn't taste cheap though. *laughs*

As it's a hassle to prepare the spices, I usually do more and keep it in the fridge for a few more days. It goes quite well with squid too.

If you can't get banana leaf, you can use aluminum foil, not that it taste nice lah. At least you could cover it (like a tent) to bake. So the fish won't get too dried up, exposed to direct baking and to let the fish gets the flavours. Only open up the foil to let it bake for 2 minutes at the end if you wish.

Does this reminds you of those BBQ fish in Singapore? *wink*


Ingredients:
  • 2 Selar Fish
  • 2 stalk Lemon Grass, slightly flatten
  • 2 slice Galangal
  • 2 Banana Leaves (big enough to wrap the fish)
  • 2 Lime, cut
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt for marinading
  • 3 tablespoon Oil for frying
  • Additional Salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sugar

Spices to be grind together:

  • 3 Shallot
  • 3 clove Garlic
  • 1 thumb size Turmeric
  • 2 Fresh Red Chillies
  • 2 Dried Red Chillies
  • 4 Candlenuts

How to do it:
  1. Clean fish and rub with salt.
  2. Set aside for 1/2 hour.
  3. Wash and dry banana leaf.
  4. Coat with oil and place on baking tray or oven proof dish to be used later.
  5. Heat oil in wok and fry the grind spices till fragrant.
  6. Add in lemon grass and galangal.
  7. Continue frying till fragrant.
  8. Add in sugar and salt to taste.
  9. Remove and set aside.
  10. Either bake the fish in the oven or pan fry it for 5 minutes so it's slightly cooked on the surface.
  11. Coat fish with spices and wrap with a banana leaf. (Just fold leaf over and secure with toothpick)
  12. Bake in preheated oven at 200C for 8 minutes before turning over to continue baking for another 5 minutes or till fully cooked.
  13. Squeeze in lime and serve immediately.
  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog u have here.. so many recipes I going to try out =)
    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see you've been busy :) nice design! and great recipe for me because my hubby loves grilled and spicy fish. we use mackerel or saba fish and it tastes really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karlsfoodie,
    Thank you! Hope you will like it when you do try them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy,
    Haha ... Yeah. I have been busy changing layout for all my blogs.

    Thanks! My hubby like selar. He said it's cheap, nice and sweet. :P It's difficult to get mackerel at my place. They always ask me to buy Batang instead. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebodyhastobe,
    Hahaha ... move to Singapore and be my neighbour. I will bake one for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh! I am drooling now! And I am hungry, it is not even lunch time yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha..it might take a while for me to move to Singapore..and it might take MORE TIME for me to be your neighbour! O.o

    =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,
    Haha. Hope you had a good lunch.

    Somebodyhastobe,
    ;) Well, if there's a chance, I'll bake one for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. aiyo, so hardworking go fry before putting it for grill... me lazy bum2, just marinate the fish with the whole thing and there it goes right to the oven. I dont cover the top, so the spices will get a bit dry neway....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dailypatnews,
    You can omit the frying step but I find fry it first the meat taste nicer. I only open during the last part. Sealing it let the flavours goes to the fish. ;)

    ReplyDelete