AdSense

Monday, April 23, 2007

Double-Boiled Asian Pear with Fritillariae


This is called 雪梨炖川贝 in Chinese. It's very good to curb cough. But not for 'cold' cough though. For 'cold' cough, you have to use Dried Persimmon (柿饼) instead of Asian Pear.

川贝 looks very much like barley but of course it's much more expensive. I had it grind into powder form so it's easily to cook/eaten. Yes, it can be eaten as it is without cooking.

I feed my son with 川贝powder everyday and his condition improved. It just slipped my mind, I should have did this long ago for the kids. It's very effective.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Asian Pear, cored
  • 5g Fritillariae (川贝) powder, I asked the Chinese medical hall I got my 川贝 from to grind it into powder
  • 300ml water
  • Rock sugar to taste
How to do it:
  1. Put the Fritillariae (川贝) powder into the pear and all other ingredients into a pot.
  2. Seal it with cling wrap so water will not get in.
  3. Steam it for 3 hours.
  4. Have it when it's cooled.
Note:
  • You drink the soup and eat the pear as well.
  • Fritillariae (川贝) is slightly bitter so I add more rock sugar since my kids are having it too.

5 comments:

  1. Heya, welcome back to the wokking world!

    When Trenyce coughs, I normally bought those prepacked herbs meant for coughing from the medical hall, around $2-$3 per packet. You can give it a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention that the herbs is to be consumed as soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aiyo...old already....

    wanted to tell you that Luo Han Gou is good for coughing too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried this before, will try. Usually buy prepacked kind fm medical hall which was good too. Yesterday cook soup which is gd for cough and phlegm too. will post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mdm 2359, Joanne,
    The kids hate those pre-packed one leh. I tried so many types. Sigh!
    I tried Luo Han Gou but still think this is most effective.

    I usually buy 1 liang (think so), cost $10. I will save 1/4 to be eaten directly and the rest into half to make this twice within a week.

    ReplyDelete