AdSense

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dark Soy Sauce Chicken
酱油鸡


This is one of my childhood dish that I often eat at my aunt's place.  Sadly, it doesn't come close to the taste that I can recall but still acceptable. Plus point for this dish is it's fast and easy to cook. I'm using mid joint wings for this dish. You can use drumsticks chopped into smaller pieces, which is what my aunt used to do.

Ingredients:
  • 6 Mid Joint Wings or 2 Drumstick chopped into 3 pcs each
  • 1 Large Onion, chopped into chunks
  • 1 Red Chilli, de-seed and sliced into pieces
  • Oil for frying

Marinade:
  1. 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  2. 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Seed Oil
  3. 1 1/2 tablespoon Corn Flour

Seasonings:
  • 1/2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce (I use Tiger Premium Dark Soy Sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon Sugar
  • 200ml Water

How to do it:
  1. Marinate chicken pieces with marinade for half an hour.
  2. Deep fry chicken till golden brown.
  3. Drain and set aside.
  4. Heat wok with a tablespoon of oil.
  5. Fry onion and chilli till fragrant.
  6. Add in the chicken and seasonings.
  7. Stir fry to coat well with seasonings.
  8. Serve.

5 comments:

  1. I love dark soy sauce chicken! Such a comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! The sugar should add a good balance and contrast to the saltiness of the soy sauces. Adding this to my list of "must cook dishes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bought 3 times the chicken so did all the seasonings 3 times the amount. but 600 ml of water ended up soy chicken soup it looks nothing like the above picture at all. can i verify that its 200ml of water or much less? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should be more specific in my recipe. When I stir fry the chicken with the seasoning. I stir fry for a while to let the chicken absorb the sauce. The sauce will be lesser when it's done.

      For your case, you want to triple the chicken but it's not necessary to triple the seasoning. Just enough to let the chicken soak up the sauce during cooking. I would suggest, between 1.5x to 2x more. If you want the sauce to be thicker, you can also stir in a little corn flour mixture to thicken the sauce.

      Hope this clarifies.

      Delete
    2. thanks :) I'm new at cooking so I guess with more experience I will gain more common sense as well. Cheers for clarifying!

      Delete