This is one of my earliest creation when I just started learning to cook in 2007. Then, I had a super fussy boy who rejected most food and a little girl who hates meat.
Having to cook 2-3 times a day for them was a torture. But this dish turned "my cooking life for kids" around. :P Finally something both of them liked. Basically, it's was the fish paste that did the trick. I added grated or chopped vegetables in it, my son ate it happily. I added minced chicken in it, my daughter too gladly accepted it. Hurray!
Even till this day, fish paste is still one of the most used ingredients in my cooking. I'm lucky I found "fresh" fish paste selling in the wet market which doesn't have the fishy smell as some sold in the supermarket. I used to make my own fish paste before I found it and it was a lot of work.
I'm sharing this recipe again, specially to parents out there with kids who have eating problems like mine. Hope you can find that one ingredient/food that your kids like and work around it. Endure for a few more years. That difficult phase will pass. がんばってね!
- 150g Fish Paste
- 1 tube Egg Tofu
- 5 Prawns, shelled, cleaned and diced
- 1 stalk Coriander or some leafy veggie of your choice, chopped finely
- a dash of Pepper (optional)
How to do it:
- Cut the tip of egg tofu and squeeze tofu out to a bowl.
- Add in fish paste, chopped veggie and diced prawns and mix well.
- Take a deep dish, oil all sides well for easy removable.
- Spread fish tofu paste.
- Cover with foil.
- Steam for 15 minutes or till cooked.
- Removed and cut into pieces.
- Pan fried the steamed fish tofu with a little till slightly brown on all sides.
- If you want a smooth mixture blend the fish paste and tofu together.
- If you want it with a crispy outer skin, dust it with corn flour before pan frying the fish tofu.