AdSense

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fish Paste Egg Roll
鱼胶蛋卷


Lately there's this craze about Happy Call. I decided to join in the craze partly because I didn't want my new kitchen to be oily when I fry fish. :p I didn't fry any fish after getting it; only bacon. The bacon didn't turn out crispy but I didn't care cos my kitchen was oil free and it didn't smell like bacon. LOL

Today, I decided to make the fish paste egg roll for my kids and my usual way of doing involved frying the egg and steaming the egg roll after spreading the fish paste. I decided to give the Happy Call Pan a try as I didn't want to use 2 utensils just to cook this. It's a good thing too since the Pan is rectangular shaped. A perfect shape for the egg crepe.

My verdict. Using the Happy Call Pan for this recipe makes the egg roll much juicy. Just look at the top photo! It takes a shorter time to cook. I will definitely explore more on using the Pan but don't worry, I'll still keep my wok pan. :)  I'm not used to cooking without see what's going on in the pan. :P


Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • a pinch of salt
  • 200g Fish Paste
  • 6 Crab Stick, chopped into small pieces (I used imitation snow crab stick here)
  • Chopped Spring Onion or Spinach or other leafy veggies (optional for colour)
  • 2 - 3 drops of Oil (serious!)

How to do it:
  1. Heat pan with oil with medium low fire.
  2. Pour egg, seasoned with salt.
  3. Swirl to spread the egg to cover the whole pan.
  4. Cover the pan.
  5. Carefully flip the pan after a minute.
  6. Open to check that the egg is flipped properly.
  7. Cook for another half a minute.
  8. Remove from pan and set aside.
  9. Meanwhile, mix fish paste, crab stick and spring onion.
  10. Spread the mixture evenly on the egg crepe prepared earlier.
  11. Carefully roll up the egg crepe with the mixture. *1
  12. Return the egg roll to the pan.
  13. Cook using medium low fire, covered.
  14. Turn every 2 minutes till it's totally cooked, about 10 minutes. *2
  15. Removed and sliced when ready to serve.

Note:
  • I did not season the fish paste as it's usually seasoned.
  • The egg crepe is very soft and may tear easily. So be gentle when handling it. *1
  • You can shake the pan if you like. I prefer to turn it manually so I can get it evenly browned on all sides. *2



5 comments:

  1. hi dear, i saw people commenting about Happy Call on the facebook but didn't know what it is. do u have a picture or website where i can read about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoebeluv, It's also call a double pressure pan. Most of us bought it from GMarket.com. Here's one of the sellers - http://list.gmarket.com.sg/item/BIG-EVENT-SPECIAL-GIFTS-DOUBLE/404162282?search_keyword=biz+j

    Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8Vqf1xUxo

    You can join the HCP group in FB. They share their experiences and HCP recipes http://www.facebook.com/groups/HappyCallPan/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emmmm, may i check where do i get those fish paste from?

    Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Delightful Aroma, I bought from wet market but you can easily find it in NTUC. They are packed in those disposable plastic bowl. You should be able to see it where they put fish ball, tofu, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WokkingMum, I am not very understand, can I know after you mixed the fish paste, crab sticks and spring onion, how do you cook the mixture? you heat it? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete