I don't cook often Pomfret as it's high in cholesterol. Same for ikan bilis, especially the heads, so go easy with it if you have family with high cholesterol. My husband has high cholesterol hence we only have this once a while.
I didn't want to get a new bottle of sour plum or salted vegetable to make the Teochew-style as I have no use of those for my other dishes at the moment. I'm doing it another way that the kids like too.
- 1 Ponfret, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Cooking Wine
- 5 slices Ginger, julienned
- 1 Tomato, half sliced and half diced
- 1 Fresh Shitake Mushroom, diced
- 2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
How to do it:
- Rub pomfret with a pinch of salt
- Place sliced tomato on the dish followed by the pomfret and both the diced tomato and shitake mushroom.
- Drizzle Chinese cooking wine.
- Steam for 8 minutes or till totally cooked.
- Remove and drain away the liquid.
- Heat cooking oil and stir-fry ginger shred till golden brown.
- Drain and set aside.
- Using the same oil, heat it with light soy sauce.
- Top steamed fish with fried ginger shreds and spring onion shreds if you like.
- Pour the hot soy sauce and oil over the fish.
- Serve immediately.
I prefer to pour away the liquid obtain after steam. It makes the dish clearer and cut down on the fishy taste as some kids don't like it. You can retain that if you like.