This is one dish that have everything that the family will like. Sometimes, I'll change the vegetables and it's looks like a new dish for the kids. The main item here is the fish tofu, which will need a bit work but trust me, the kids even adults will like it.
If you are unable to get ready made fish paste, you can make your own. My suggested recipe is here. I'm lucky that there's a stall selling Yong Tau Foo 酿豆腐 in the wet market at my place here. I can buy just the fish paste from them, which in my opinion far more better than those sold in supermarket.
- 150g Fish Paste
- 1 tube Egg Tofu
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 8 Fresh Shitake Mushroom, sliced
- 12 Sweet Peas, tips removed
- 1/2 Carrot, sliced
- 6 tablespoon Broth
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Cornflour mixture (thickener), optional
How to do it:
- Squeeze the tofu out of the tube.
- Mix the smashed tofu with the fish paste.
- You can add a dash of pepper if you like.
- Oil a deep dish on all sides well.
- Pour the tofu fish paste in the dish and level it.
- Cover with foil and steam for 15 minutes or till cooked.
- Carefully turn the dish over when it's cooled to let the fish tofu will drop to the foil.
- Cut the fish tofu into thick equal blocks.
- Pan fry the fish tofu on all sides till lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside.
- Using the same wok, add oil if necessary.
- Add in sweet peas and stir fry till just done.
- Dish and set aside.
- Still using the same wok, add garlic and saute garlic till fragrant.
- Add in sliced mushroom and carrot.
- Stir fry till almost cooked.
- Add in fish tofu, sweet peas and broth.
- Bring to a boil and season with salt.
- Gradually stir in cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce if you like.
- Dish and serve immediately.