My husband joked that lucky I have 2 kids at home to help increase my blood pressure. Otherwise, it might be even lower. ^_^"
Since I didn't want to do a blood count or a another blood test (later I faint,how? :P) now, Doc gave me iron pills though he said it could be deficiency in Vitamin B12 or Folic Acid instead. On top of that, I'm having this soup once a week too; till my next blood test in 2 months time.
It's commonly known that Angelica Sinensis 当归 (DangGui) treats fatigue and anaemia. But it's not a miracle herb. Don't expected to be treated with just a dose. You have to take it regularly over a period of time. Otherwise, just make this to enjoy the taste. If you get a better grade Angelica Sinensis 当归 (DangGui), it's sweet. The cheaper and lower grade ones may have a bitter taste.
- 1 Black Chicken, washed and cleaned
- Approxiately 27g Angelica Sinensis 当归(DangGui)
- 15g Wolfberries 枸杞子(GouQiZi)
- 6 Black Dates 黑枣 (HeiZao）
- 2 litre Water
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to do it:
- Blanch chicken.
- Place all ingredients except wine and salt in a pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 3 hours.
- Add wine and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.
A better way to cook this will be double-boiling which ensure the essences from all the ingredients are not loss through cooking but it will take much longer to cook. Expect at least 5 hours! And you have to keep check on the water.
- Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.