I had a sudden craving for baked rice and since I had all the ingredients needed, I decided to make it for my dinner.
I don't usually have left over rice but I had a bowl of it as my husband decided to have instant noodle instead of home cooked dinner the night before. Grrrr .... Anyway, I didn't turn off my rice cooker hence my bowl of rice was still rather 'fresh'. I don't really like over night rice as it's a bit on the dry side and not as fluffy.
You can use freshly cooked rice or over night rice, which ever you prefer. Here's my recipe for the baked rice. ;)
- 1 bowl Cooked Rice
- 2 strip Streaky Bacon, cut into bits
- 6 Fresh Button Mushroom, sliced
- 2/3 can Campbell's Prego Carbonara Mushroom Pasta Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon each Romano, Mozzarella & Parmesan Cheese
- Extra Romano & Parmesan Cheese for toppings
- 1/4 Red Capsicum, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil
How to do it:
- Place cooked rice in oven proof dish.
- Heat oil and saute garlic till fragrant.
- Add bacon bits and sliced mushrooms.
- Stir fry till bacon are brown, mushrooms are cooked and the sauce are almost dry.
- Meanwhile, mix rice with pasta sauce.
- Add the cheese on the rice.
- Pour the cooked mushroom and bacon and diced red capsicum over the rice.
- Quickly stir to mix well.
- Top with additional Romano & Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake at 250C for 20 minutes or till the cheese on top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
If you are using overnight rice kept in the fridge, bring it out earlier so it won't be too cold. You will need a longer baking time. You might want to reduce the temperature to 220C and bake it longer.