This is very much like the Chinese braised egg 蓾蛋 except you don't cook the eggs in the marinade cos you want to retain the runny egg yolk and not to harden it. You just keep the egg in the marinade and let the marinade slowly do its work.
I have only marinated the egg you see here for 3 hours. If you want the brown hue to penetrate more into the egg white, you have to keep the egg in the marinade for at least a day.
Marinade for 2 Lava eggs:
- 5 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 3 tablespoon Mirin
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Superior Dark Soy Sauce
How to do it:
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Once sugar has melted, let the marinade cool completely.
- Place 2 lava eggs in a zip-loc bag and carefully pour the marinade into it.
- Carefully squeeze all the air in the zip-loc bag out (ie, no air pockets) so the eggs will be completely in marinade.
- Marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, drain eggs from marinade and cut into half.
- If you have problem squeezing out the air of the zip-loc bag, just let it be. You just need to shake/turn the eggs occasionally so the eggs will be evenly coated and tinted with the marinade.
- If you marinate the eggs overnight in the fridge, bring out of the fridge at least 1/2 hour before serving so it will not be too cold. Unless you don't mind eating cold eggs.
- I paired it with Shoyu based Ramen.