AdSense

Friday, April 18, 2008

Papaya Soup 木瓜鱼片鸡汤


My daughter doesn't likes fruits but surprisingly she will take soup with fruits in it. My son on the other hand, hates it. I just can't please everyone, can I?

This is one of the fruit soups that my daughter like, which my son hates. It's nice and nourishing. Do you know, Papaya with fish soup is very good for nursing mothers too.


Ingredients:

  • 2 Chicken Drumstick or 250g Pork Ribs (I use Chicken here)
  • 200g Snakehead Fish, sliced
  • 500g Papaya, skinned and seed (I use pear shaped "Dole" papaya from Philippines)
  • 2 slice Ginger
  • 2.5 litre Water
  • Salt to taste

How to do it:
  1. Blanched chicken or pork and set aside.
  2. Lightly pan fry fish with very little oil till slightly brown.
  3. Put all ingredients except salt and papaya and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for another 1 hour.
  5. Add in the papaya and continue to simmer for another hour.
  6. Add salt to taste.
  7. Serve.

  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.

7 comments:

  1. Yummy
    i made mine without the chicken for the past month fo rmy nursing sis. and it sure works =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hey..
    Understand from my sis that time... if for nursing mum, the papaya shd be those green and unripe papaya that sold from the vege stall instead of fruit type papaya that we can find easily.. think got to order, and the papaya can keep for quite awhile.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. karlsfoodie,
    Yes, when I was having this during confinement, it was without chicken too. I just want it more sweet and flavorful for my kids. :)

    Mama Kat,
    Hmm, I was advised to use the common papaya by my gynae and my confinement lady uses common papaya too.

    As long as it works, doesn't matter which type is used, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I was able to use your version to make sense of a recipe given by my mother-in-law. She provides recipes that look like "a little bit of [this], a little bit of [that]." :)

    The variation I made uses pork butt for the base, a few dried jujubes to sweeten it a bit more, and a handful of peanuts thrown in for good measure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DFB,
    Haha ... I understand what you mean. My MIL also does that. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that is a quality shared in common by many mothers.

    I'll join the fray in discussing ripe versus green papaya. I made papaya soup again using both ripe and green papayas and it came out better than the first time. The combo provided nice contrast of flavor, texture, and color. Here is a photo: http://flickr.com/photos/geodanny/2598391539/ (img html tags not allowed in comments otherwise I'd post a picture here.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dfb, I guess it doesnt really matter if ripe or green papaya is used as long as it works, right? Thanks for the link. I'll go have a look.

    ReplyDelete