AdSense

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lemon

I had never wanted to roast chicken after my hubby bought me an oven. Well, I had tried roasted chicken and turkey before and find it too dry and almost tasteless except of the skin. The other day, not knowing what came over me, I bought a copy of Women's Weekly. I used to buy this magazine when I was still working. I have since stop buying it for coming to 6 years. Anyway, I found this recipe in the magazine and since I have most of the ingredients, I thought I'll get it a try.

It's really good and like what the recipe says, the flesh is moist and succulent. Oooo ... and the garlic ... tasted so good with the chicken. Even my hubby who hates garlic said so too. Oh and the taste and smell of lemon ... hmmm ....

Try this for Christmas!

Ingredients:
  • 1.8kg Chicken (I used a smaller chicken)
  • 1 Lemon, quartered
  • 30 gloves Garlic, skin intact
  • 1 cup Chicken Stock
  • 1 cup White Wine
Marinade:
  • 5 tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed (I used 1 tablespoon Dried Thyme)
  • 3 sprigs fresh Rosemary, stams removed (I used 1 1/2 tablespoon Dried Rosemary)
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
  • Lemon Rind of half a lemon (optional)
How to do it:
  1. Rub marinade all over pat-dried chicken, including the body cavity.
  2. Place whole lemon into cavity and close cup cavity with a toothpick.
  3. Place chicken, breast side up, in hear and oven-proof casserole.
  4. Scatter garlic around the chicken and add chicken stock and white wine.
  5. Place casserole on a stove and bring to a boil over medium-high fire.
  6. Remove from stove, cover with lid and roast in the oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours at180C
  7. Check for doneness; juices would run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a metal skewer.
  8. Remove the lid, baste the chicken with pan juices and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes to brown the skin.
  9. Remove chicken and garlic cloves from the casserole and place on a serving dish.
  10. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 min to 15 mins.
  11. Spoon away excess oil from juices in the casserole and adjust to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
  12. Carve chicken and serve with garlic cloves and pan juices.
Note:
  • To make the skin extra crispy, separate the skin from the meat using your finger or chopstick taking care not to tear or poke through the skin.
  • Pour some marinade in between the skin and meat too.
  • When roasting the chicken during the last 10 - 15 minutes, you can roast it on rack instead. Then you will be able the roast the whole chicken instead of only one side.

  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.

16 comments:

  1. This looks so juicy and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey is notorious for being dry and even chicken will dry out if not roasted properly. Yours look lovely :) Another method to avoid drying out the bird is to roast it breast side down so that the juices flow into the breast meat. Turn it breast side up again for the last 15 minutes to crisp up the skin.

    I love garlic but that's heck of a lot of garlic in that recipe! The kitchen must smell lovely with the garlic and lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks so good!
    Nicely browned, just like I like chicken to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the drumstick is so inviting. What kind of white wine to use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to same problem. My chicken normally comes out tasty on the skin but, the meat is tasteless. We have one of those rotisseries so, the chicken normally comes out juicy ... my biggest problem is the taste ... on the meat!

    I have to figure out how I can do this with the rotisserie

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! I love when the chicken is moist and succulent. I've always hated turkey because of it being always dry. I decided to jerk it while putting it on the grill. To my surprise, it was the most succulent turkey I've ever taste.
    Oh! some people may not know what 'jerk' is if you don't you can visit my site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NoobCook,
    Thank you. Hope you have a chance to try it.

    Rose's World,
    Haha ... Thank you!

    Nilmandra,
    I did just that the 2nd time! Yes. It was yummy!

    Haha ... I thot it was too much garlic too but we ended up not having enough garlic to go with the chicken. :)

    Patricia,
    Thank you!

    Joanne,
    I use Jacob's Creek.

    Tricia,
    You can do the same as I did and roast it using the rotisseries on the last 10 or 15 minutes. I just use the rack.

    You're welcome.

    Cleona,
    Thanks. I'll check your site out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very much Elaine for sharing this recipe... I've used it to bake the chicken specially for the Christmas party at my home.. not just once but TWICE...teehehe... perfect recipe for the occasion and season... everyone said it was VERY YUMMY!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mamabliss,
    You are welcome. I made a few times too. Love the sauce too. ;)

    Glad you guys enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your blog. I just found it am so happy. You have great recipes and this one sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try it.

    Cheers from Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen,
    Thanks for visiting. Hope you will drop by again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear Elaine, thank you so much for the recipe!!! I just tried it today - my hubby's first Father's day and he gave 200 points for this dish! I was quite worried at the beginning(coz this is my first time roasting chicken), but the outcome is fantastic! Like you said, the meat is soooo juicy and flavorful .. yum yum .. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HN,
    You are welcome! Hope your hubby had a very Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi, can i use drumstick instead? will it be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous,
    Sure you can use drumstick but you have to change the recipe a bit cos you wont be able to stuff the lemon. Use instead juice of about 1/2 a lemon depending on the number/size of your drumstick. Turn the drumstick over half way so the other size get to be soak in the juice. Otherwise, one side will be more flavourful. Happy Woking!

    ReplyDelete