AdSense

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Japanese Cotton Sponge Cake


My friend, June, told me she tried baking cotton sponge cake and failed. I'm new to baking and couldn't help her find what went wrong but I search the web and found another recipe. It was mentioned that the recipe was from a book so I gathered that it should be the original source and I went ahead to bake it.

And I was lucky on my first try. I'm not too sure if baking in cups and tray makes any difference though.

Ingredients:
  • 60g Butter, melted
  • 80g Plain Flour
  • 80ml Evaporated Milk (I used fresh milk)
  • 1 Egg
  • 5 Egg Yolks
  • 5 Egg Whites
  • 120g Sugar
  • Pinch of Salt

How to do it:
  1. Add butter and flour together.
  2. Mix till well blended.
  3. Add milk and mix till will combined.
  4. Add the 1 egg and 5 egg yolks till will blended.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy.
  6. Add in sugar and salt and whisk till stiff (takes about 20 minutes)
  7. Using a spatula fold in the egg whites with the egg yolk mixture till well incorporated.
  8. Pour mixture onto the swiss roll pan (15 x 10 x ¼ inches) fully lined with paper. (I used muffin cups)
  9. Bake at 170C on the middle rack for 25 minutes.
  10. Remove the mould immediately when it baked. Set aside to cool.

Note:

When whisking egg white, make sure your tools, bowls are clean and dry. Egg white MUST NOT contain a single drop of egg yolk. If not under these said conditions, your egg white will not peak.

  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.


*Soft & fluffy *

21 comments:

  1. Look yummy..!! thanks for sharing the recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks cotton-soft! I'll be sure to try this recipe at some point. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried other similar recipes ... which turned out BAAAAAD.

    I am also not soo good in baking. But, since you were able to bake it on your 1st try, I will give it a try too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazingly soft and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments.

    Tricia,
    I understand this is quite difficult to make. Maybe I had beginner's luck.

    Hope you will be successful on your next try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks soft like newly baked bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pls. help...i try out this recipe and it turn out..flat really flat not like wat u got. can u enlighten me where did i go wrong. While in the oven it still look ok but nvr "break" open like yours, once out of oven it start to sink....pls. help and i also wld like to understand the process call Fold in.
    thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caroline,
    Fold in means, you use your spatula or spoon to scrap from the bottom and edge of the bowl and then turn to cover the batter to the center. Hope you understands. This method helps to prevent deflating the egg white (cos the beaten is very 'airy; now).

    Not sure why your is flat. Maybe you have over beat your batter? Sorry, I'm not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi wokkingmum,
    so cute and small! and definitely delicious!
    this reminds me of the mini 'huat keuh'my grandma used to make by steaming them in a wok.

    do u have any step-by-step cake recipes to share with us that requires just steaming and not oven baking?

    i am sure your 'fans' will be thrilled to try them out too! :")

    your site is great!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna,
    Thanks. We love it cos it's really fluffy.

    I haven't tried steaming kuehs because all my pots are quite small. Too small for making kuehs. P

    I'll try to make some when I buy a bigger pot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha, cant wait for you to start making them and to see u post the 'steam kuehs' on your blog.

    dont forget to publish the steam kueh recipes too!

    thanks,
    will be waiting

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. hihi,

    thanks for enlighting me, will try again hope i will be sucessful the next time round.

    cheers,
    caroline

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna,
    I will post it when I do it.
    Hopefully won't let you wait too long. ;)

    Caroline,
    No problem. Good luck for your next try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi!
    for the step 1 to step 4
    shud i use a mixer to mix, or i need to mix it manually? if using a mixer, wats the speed and roughly how long?

    coz i've make sponge cake once and the result is not so fluffy, but flat n quite heavy. i guess the problem is during the process :(

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous, I used a mixer on low speed but I didnt time. I guess about 3 mins for each step and slightly longer for step 4.

    My understanding is if it's flat and heavy than the batter is over beaten but for this case, the whites and yolks are beaten separately and folded in, so it shouldnt have that problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi wokkingmum,

    Thanks for this great tip, i'm going to try this out today, will give you the feed back on how well it went. Plus this is the ver first time i got my hands into baking :)


    Yuen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yuen,
    Hope you succeed with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi,
    i love ur blog so much, tried a few of your recipe and most of them turn out good. i had tried the above last weekend, but like the many here, my cake turn out nice in oven but start to sink when it had cool. i followed exactly ur method and whip the egg white for 20min and then fold in with the batter. but still it sink, mine also didnt break open like urs. taste wise is yummy, but look wise :(. i wonder what is wrong?
    Sherra

    ReplyDelete