My friend, June, told me she tried baking cotton sponge cake and failed. I'm new to baking and couldn't help her find what went wrong but I search the web and found another recipe. It was mentioned that the recipe was from a book so I gathered that it should be the original source and I went ahead to bake it.
And I was lucky on my first try. I'm not too sure if baking in cups and tray makes any difference though.
- 60g Butter, melted
- 80g Plain Flour
- 80ml Evaporated Milk (I used fresh milk)
- 1 Egg
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 5 Egg Whites
- 120g Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
How to do it:
- Add butter and flour together.
- Mix till well blended.
- Add milk and mix till will combined.
- Add the 1 egg and 5 egg yolks till will blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy.
- Add in sugar and salt and whisk till stiff (takes about 20 minutes)
- Using a spatula fold in the egg whites with the egg yolk mixture till well incorporated.
- Pour mixture onto the swiss roll pan (15 x 10 x ¼ inches) fully lined with paper. (I used muffin cups)
- Bake at 170C on the middle rack for 25 minutes.
- Remove the mould immediately when it baked. Set aside to cool.
When whisking egg white, make sure your tools, bowls are clean and dry. Egg white MUST NOT contain a single drop of egg yolk. If not under these said conditions, your egg white will not peak.
- Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.