AdSense

Friday, December 7, 2007

Egg Tarts



Egg tarts! Egg tarts! I didn't know there are so many people who like egg tarts. Don't be shock on what I'm going to say. I have never try one in my (going to be) 36 years of my life. Hmm ... maybe just the crust.

It's one of my husband's favourite so I had to try to do it since he did get me the oven after all. He is forever saying that how the crust and the egg custard must be like. I had no idea. I just followed the recipe that comes with the oven.

The day he arrived home from work when I made the egg tarts, I showed him one and asked him to try. He didn't look impressed with the outlook. He commented that the egg custard looked too pale (because there's no custard powder here) and then he sunk his teeth into it and chewed. I asked, "So?" No answer. More bites and chewing and still no answer. Now that the whole tart is gone and still no answer. Hmmm ...

After he cleared his mouth, he said, "It's very good! Not the best but good enough." Aww ... At least I managed to make something he really likes. He ended up having egg tarts for dinner instead. *frown*

Anyway, I have seen other egg tart recipes before I settled for this method as it's much easy to do. *stick out tongue*


Ingredients for Crust:
  • 340g Top Flour
  • 230g Butter
  • 70g Caster Sugar
  • 1/2 Beaten Egg
Ingredients for Egg Custard filling:
  • 3 Eggs
  • 80g Caster Sugar
  • 70ml Milk (I use Fresh Milk)
  • 230ml Water
How to do it:
  1. Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
  2. Add egg into mixture and mix until combined.
  3. Add flour and mix into a dough.
  4. Cover dough with cling wrap and keep in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  5. Weight dough into 20g each (depending on size of mould) and press into egg tart moulds.
  6. Set aside.
  7. Whisk eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
  8. Add milk to mixture and continue to whisk until combined.
  9. Add water gradually and continue to whisk together.
  10. Pour into mould tart dough.
  11. Preheat oven at 180C and bake for 25 minutes or till the crust is slightly brown and egg custard is set.
  12. Remove from mould by turning the mould upside down.
Note:
I rolled the 20g dough into a ball and flatten it before put it into the mould.

  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.

28 comments:

  1. wow..the tart looks really good for a first timer....my first try did not not turn out that well becos the pastry is more difficult t make...yrs looks quite easy..will like to try out later..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, nice try. I tot it's too difficult to make for a novice. Twins had two each fm the crystal jade bakery last wk and loves it. I'm gonna try this then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making it before and I failed... Must try your recipe one of these days. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This home-made egg tarts look good! Mine is the flaky pastry ones. I learnt it from a HK chef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh... thanks so much for the gifts and feeding of my pet on FaceBook. hehehe..... we are like school girls hor. LZ Mummy is another one.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure looks good! My son would love these egg tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what?1 u hv never tried egg tart before this? and u dare to try baking it huh? looks yummy leh..

    ReplyDelete
  8. ty sooooooooooo much i can't believe i made eggtart :D pics up in my blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the receipe. I tried it but the egg part turns abit brown and not as nice as yours. Is it something wrong that I did?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Jasmine,
    Thank you! I guess I have beginner's luck. ;)

    Joanne,
    How's was your attempt? Hope the twins like it.

    LZmommy,
    I think you wont have a problem. You are so good!

    Eastcoastlife,
    Oh, the flaky ones are very difficult to do it. Do you have the recipe in your blog? Must check it out.

    Jo-N,
    Maybe you can try this? Your son might like it?

    Wen,
    Haha ... I'm enjoy cooking and baking but not the eating. Since it's one of my hubby's favourite, must do it. :)

    Cookingminpig,
    You're welcome. I saw it. You did a great job! Glad you like it. :)

    Summer,
    I think your oven is too hot. Try to lower the temp and bake longer instead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. May I know what is Top flour?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hv u tried that famous sg egg tart with the filling is soya bean..absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lannie Loke,
    Top Flour is high in gluten. It best for making cakes. Makes them extra light and fluffy. But using all-purpose flour is fine too. :)

    Jazzmint,
    I dont really fancy egg-tarts but my hubby love it. Soya bean? From where?

    ReplyDelete
  14. May I know the ingredients make how many tarts?

    Is Top flour similar to cake flour?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let's Masak,
    If I remember correctly, about 16 for the size of cup I used with some dough left.

    Top flour is LOW in gluten not high as when I have told Lannie above. Sorry. I think both of them are similar Cake Flour is also low in gluten. But using Plain Flour works fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks u sharing the recipe
    can i know what is Top flour?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julie!

    Top flour is a low in gluten flour. It is extra fine too.

    The normal plain or all purpose flour we use is medium gluten.

    If you are making bread/pizza, you have to use those high in gluten cos elasticity is need for the dough to expand.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello WokkingMum,

    Thank you so much for the recipe, I make it and my kids love it so much. I like your craftwork also, very creative. I love to knit and sewing as well. Maybe will create a blog for those also :D I've link you in my blog~

    ReplyDelete
  19. TinTin,
    Thank you for your compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Just wanted to say that I love your egg tart recipie! I use it all the time and people really like it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Swedish born Chinese, You're welcome. Glad you love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh boy, im soo gonna try this singapore delicacie..it looks delicious!
    im gonna try this and let my family try when they fly from LA to singapore. imma show them that i can be a LOCAL at times! hahahaha..thanks miss:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. this blog is so cool! i love egg tarts so much i will surely try out this recipe.. only wok the things i love haha.. thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi WokkingMum,

    Can I check with you? I followed the recipe fully but the crust turned out to be pretty soft. Can I know how do I bake it so that the crust is hard?

    I placed the setting as heat on both top and bottom for my oven..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh and also can I know how do you make the crust look so nice and presentable? >< My friends all told me it looks ugly :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi!
    May i know which rack to place the egg tart on when baking them inside the oven?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Patrick, If you want the crust to be harder, try baking just the crust for 5 mins without adding the egg mixture first. To make the crust nicer, use those metal shaped mold. It helps.

    @Wei li, my oven only has a rack. But middle rack should work great.

    ReplyDelete