This is a cheat copycat version of the popular sizzling hot plate tofu from zhi char stall. It's a simple hot plate tofu using just a few ingredients that my kids eat.
You can add or replace the the vegetables used here to your preference.
- 1 tube Egg Tofu, cut into thick pieces
- 2 Fresh Shitake Mushroom, stalk removed and cut into smaller pieces
- a handful Green Peas
- a 1/4 Carrot, skinned and sliced
- some diced Red Pepper for colour (optional)
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Stock or Water
How to do it:
- Dab dry egg tofu and deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- Remove, drain from oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanched the carrot till it's slightly soften.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat pan with a tablespoon oil.
- Saute garlic till fragrant but not brown.
- Add in the vegetables.
- Stir-fry for awhile.
- Add in the tofu.
- Add in the oyster sauce, sugar and stock.
- Stir-fry till the vegetables are cooked and stock is almost absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat up a oiled pan or hot plate.
- Pour in the the beaten egg and swirl around to make sure the egg covers the whole pan.
- Pour in the cooked tofu and vegetable.
- Serve immediately.
- If you are using hard vegetables such as baby corn, carrot, sweet peas, etc., you can either blanch them or stir fry them first before adding the rest of vegetables as they need a longer time to cook compared to the rest.
- Turn off the heat before you crack the egg. If the pan or hot plate is heated well enough, there will be enough heat to continue cooking the egg. This way also prevents the egg from over-cooking before adding the tofu and vegetables.