I bought a pack of Asparagus not realising that I already have a pack at home. As I'm the one one eating it, I find turning it into soup is the fastest way to finish it.
I made this last Saturday for breakfast. So glad that my daughter loves it. Now I don't have to only make Mushroom Soup for her. There's another option and more to come, I come. No luck with my son though even bacon was used. :/
It's an easy and yummy 'hulk' soup that you got to try. :)
- 200g Asparagus, chopped into sections
- 1 small or 1/2 medium Onion (not shallot), diced
- 4 strips Streaky Bacon (optional), diced
- 1 Litre Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 50ml Cooking Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to do it:
- Fry streaky bacon till brown.
- Remove the bacon bits leaving the oil in the pan.
- Saute the onion till soft.
- Add in the asparagus and cook for 5 mins (shorter time if you are using Thai Asparagus).
- Add in the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Continue cooking till the asparagus is tender.
- Blend till it is smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir in cooking cream.
- Thicken with some corn flour mixture if you like.
- I'm using streaky bacon to try covering up some of the taste of asparagus to make it more acceptable for kids. You can use 1/2 tablespoon butter instead.
- If you do not wish to use corn flour to thicken the soup, you can use double cream instead of cooking cream.
- Cooking cream can be replaced with Whipping Cream too.